07 Expedition IWE engaging on driver side only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Efrain Gonzalez

Reaction score
Hello everyone, My name is Efrain out of Charlotte NC, I'm coming here for help with something that has just baffled me.

For a few days the family's 07 Expedition xlt 4x4 had been making a grinding noise in the front end, kind of if you had some worn out mud tires, it would be more noticeable past 20 mph, tires are BFG all terrains in really good shape.

Yesterday found some time and put the car on stands to check the IWEs since this seems to be a known issue, while the truck was running the passenger side wheel would spin freely without engaging the shaft, as is supposed to, the driver side wheel however would sping along with the half shaft on that side.

According to what a read this is not normal.

I have replaced IWE actuator, IWE solenoid, wheel bearing hub, brake caliper and all the vacuum lines checked good.

After all this work, I found out that if a loose up the shaft spindle nut the IWE disengages bur as soon as I torque it to more that 10 f/lbs the IWE engages(This is all with the truck running)
The spindle nut on the passenger side is torqued to 20 f/lbs per specs and no issues there, wheel spins nice a free.

I had the shaft replaced a few months ago and a 2 inch leveling kit installed by a local tire shop, there was nothing wrong with the shaft, they damaged the booth while installing the leveling kit and had to replace it.

I am at lost with this and I am hoping to find someone that had experienced the same issue and was willing to share any tips on it.

I'm suspecting of the shaft, perhaps an incorrect one installed by the tire shop or poor installation, however I would not know what to look for there.

Thanks in advance for reading and looking forward to any responses.

Last edited: