07 Expedition Rear Heat not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshua0812

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Expedition XL XLT 2WD. The A/C and heat works fine up front, and the A/C works great in the rear, however, when you turn the rear air from cool to warm the air flow shuts off on the rear vents. I have replaced and checked the blend door actuators, to verify they work, no clicking sounds. The blower motor is working just no air flow thru the rear vents when on hot but when you turn it back to cool temp it start blowing again. Now with my back passenger side panel off I can watch the door blend actuators both turn when you go from cool to heat and from heat to cool. It's like they open the doors for cold air but close the doors to the vents for the heater to blow through.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The heater directs heat out of the grille on the side quarter panel, not out of the ceiling vents. The ceiling vents are only for air conditioning and they close when the heat is actuated. You may not have a problem.

This drove me nuts until I figured it out.

Welcome here.

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Expedition XL XLT 2WD. The A/C and heat works fine up front, and the A/C works great in the rear, however, when you turn the rear air from cool to warm the air flow shuts off on the rear vents. I have replaced and checked the blend door actuators, to verify they work, no clicking sounds. The blower motor is working just no air flow thru the rear vents when on hot but when you turn it back to cool temp it start blowing again. Now with my back passenger side panel off I can watch the door blend actuators both turn when you go from cool to heat and from heat to cool. It's like they open the doors for cold air but close the doors to the vents for the heater to blow through.
I would check the blower side on the rear heater core as @riphip suggested. If that is fine then the rear heater core itself could be blocked and you may need to flush it.

OP
OP
J

Joshua0812

Reaction score
The heater directs heat out of the grille on the side quarter panel, not out of the ceiling vents. The ceiling vents are only for air conditioning and they close when the heat is actuated. You may not have a problem.

This drove me nuts until I figured it out.

Welcome here.

It blew heat out of the upper vents for 2 years and then suddenly quit. Air won't even come out of the side panels when heat is on