08-10 Ford Expedition radio/gps wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get a genuine 2008-2010 Ford GPS satelite radio from? My GPS has been intermittent for a long time and now the satelite radio is playing up (could be the antenna, but want to change the radio first (fed up with GPS misbehaving)) and then might change the satelite antenna if I still have a problem. None of the scrap yards near me have a unit, can't find anything on eBay, don't want to fit a generic unit as I like the way the ford one works with the steering wheel controls and the wheel sensors to measure distance even when no satelite reception is possible. I am in Dallas, Texas.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Gary

chuck571

Reaction score
I have a slightly used 2008 radio nav unit that I took out of my 08 if you are interested and it wont cost you 8 or 9 hundred plus. Original factory unit. Should be plug and play. Email me @ [email protected] if interested.

Last edited:

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A 12-14yr old unit without updates isn't quite as useful as the "generic" models out there. Kenwood and Pioneer have a very nice interface, will work w steering controls and much, much more along w the improved audio quality. If you want standalone GPS where you aren't relying on Android auto or Carplay there are a few Kenwood units with Garmin integrated and a dedicated GPS antenna. Only really useful if you frequent areas of no cell service however and even then you can download large swaths of areas in Google maps with a couple clicks to enable offline navigation.

The offer above may be just what you need though. An aftermarket w standalone GPS is probably going to be north of 5-600 plus install parts.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
+1

GPS with 15 year old "maps" is what you want? That's what a used OEM unit will get you. And probably no means to update it. Updated a pair of Garmins two days ago. My Sync3 maps have gotta be at least two years old using the latest available updates. Running both units last night Garmin advised me to "take the 3d exit from the roundabout," Ford wanted me to "turn left at the stop sign." New roundabout last year. Critical? No but an indication of how accurate the units are.

Tell me more about "wheel sensors to measure distance even when no satelite reception is possible." (Just curious.)

-- Chuck

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I installed an OEM Ford satellite/GPS in my '08 XLT. Find one on ebay or from a junkyard. I paid $200 for the unit; they generally go for about $300. They are programmed for the car line and the features of the individual truck, like rear entertainment and rear woofer amp. Search for one out of an Expedition or the pins may be programmed wrong. Both 2007 and 08 share similar radios with the 08 knobs trimmed in chrome.

Since the XLT's aren't offered with GPS receivers, I had to add a wire to the harness for steering wheel controls and add the rear woofer and amplifier wiring.

The GPS units in 2009 through 2014 are different and require different programming, so check further about that if you need one for those years. These are available pre-programmed from infotainment.com for <yikes> $1500.

brhulen

Reaction score
If you are possibly looking at replacing the GPS antenna I would try that first as I have heard they are prone to failure. I have a 2011 Expedition Limited and the GPS/Sirius radio started acting up. I wound up having to replace the ACM along with the antenna. The dealership told me it would be cheaper to go to Car Toys and have an aftermarket one installed. Checked it out and it was over $2,500 including installation. So stuck with OEM but cheaper at a little under $1,500.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Brhulen's advice is really good. A new aftermarket GPS antenna is $10. The GPS antenna is under the dash above the radio support and the satellite antenna is on the roof.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks guys, I thought the same antenna was used for Sirius satelite radio reception and GPS reception, sounds like I was wrong, that would explain why the GPS is showing a good signal, but the sirius radio shows no signal!! I suspect the roof satelite antenna has failed. Unfortunately that part is not available from Ford so I will buy an equivalent antenna and see if that helps.
Regards Gary

OP
OP
G

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sorry everyone, but another question. I assumed the antenna on the roof just connected directly to the radio/gps unit and operated both units. I now hear that the GPS has it's own antenna under the main dash board and the antenna on the roof is only for Sirius radio. Can anyone please confirm, does the roof antenna go directly to the radio unit (Its a 2008 EL Limited) or does it go to another control unit down near the shift lever and then go to the radio? I was assuming the antenna had failed or the radio, but it's beginning to sound like there is another control box between the Antenna and radio which could also have failed!! I don't have a ford manual for this car, but am going to order one (hopefully the schematics are in it) but hoping someone on here might be able to help.

Regards Gary