08 Doesn’t move any gear.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2008 King Ranch 2wd, built 9/07. I’m being told it’s a 4R70W. I just bought it hoping I can fix it myself. 275k miles on the odometer and I assume it’s the original transmission. The 5.4 was replaced with a new motor 30-40k miles ago. I’m disabled but it’s mostly nerve damage issues with my legs. I can still work on my personal vehicle within reason.

This Expedition doesn’t move at all. Idle changes a little when putting it in reverse. I don’t detect any change putting it in any of the forward gears. Before I spend more money and pulling parts. What should I check first? I was hoping to find a decent junk yard trans, but I guess they don’t exist for this year. Now I’m being told best route is a Jasper with 100k mile warranty. I’d love that with the nearly new motor already in it. But I’m broke. Truck has all the options to make life easier with my disability. It’s literally my dream truck.
It’s a 2WD 2008 date of manufacture 9/07.
Thank you all for any advice and or info.

OP
OP
Kevin08

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
56766181-430F-4B64-8F78-D3D54D60E039.jpeg Thank you. Local dealer and trans shops told me 4R70W. I just run the vin through Ford parts.com and it came back 6R75. I was finally able to get to the sticker on my trans just now.

Has a 8L1P code. I’m searching for used but so far the results appear to be that 8L1P is coming out of 4x4 Expedition and 7L1P is the code on trans advertised as 4x2. I’m frustrated because the pics of 8L1P trans look to all for a transfer case.

to clarify do I need to buy a pre 12/07 manufactured 6R75 for 2008 2WD Expedition? Does it need to have the same 8L1P sticker on the side like mine or will 7L1P work as long as out of a 2wd?

A848B2F4-B573-4868-80F9-F934E8F5E613.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kevin08

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^Corrected info previous post^

It was a professional shop that did the 5.4 swap. I guess they pulled the complete engine & trans wiring harness with the motor. Unfortunately after installing the new motor, they didn’t snap any of the harness retainers along the side of the transmission. It was fully laying against the catalytic converter and across the exhaust at the first 02.

I wasn’t looking forward to rebuilding this harness. Thankfully while searching for used trans, I found the transmission wire harness and same seller has good shifter. My shifter along with being caked with ash and soda, has a broken detent tab that holds it in each gear position.

I’m happy to have both these parts ordered. I’m not delusional this will fix my transmission. I’m still looking for a good used one. If I haven’t found one by the time I finish cleaning the interior, I might have to borrow against the truck for a Jasper. Guessing that will be close to $3,000?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kevin08

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
6B3EABCD-5C20-4131-B91B-9E0C077303EB.jpeg

6AF76599-F0A2-443E-B9E0-FC9867B4B9D7.jpeg

The salvage yard transmission wire harness came today. Tracking shows it’s still on schedule for Saturday, lol.

It was in the end stage of heat shield failure but not yet damaging the wires. I just spent a few minutes unwrapping all the melted wire loom and baked til crumbled electric tape wrap to inspect each wire. So far so good. I’m going to the auto parts store to get some of that fiberglass foil wire harness sleeves I saw there yesterday. Wrap the harness with correct temp 3M tape, then insulating fiber tape, wire loom, another layer of the fiber insulating electrical tape, the the foil heat shield sleeve over the original but also farther up. Original foil fiber shield was only next to the catalytic converter. My original harness was worse melted until failure farther up by the pre cat 02 where Ford had none of the foil shield. Basically I’m going to overkill heat protect the crap out of the new one.

OP
OP
Kevin08

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Original melted and replacement with added layer of heat shield.

A801B8BF-7613-4F62-9505-38BBAE9115C7.jpeg C80B2A90-88EF-490C-BC7D-C827D165AE0A.jpeg

OP
OP
Kevin08

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wire harness swap complete. If nothing else it confirmed the transmission is bad. Before nothing happened when shifting into reverse or drive. Now for the first time the truck creeped forward and backwards a few feet but horrible sounding whine coming from the transmission.

I retrieved the big truck jack stands from the farm so I can get the Expedition higher. Let’s see how much metal is on that trans pan magnet, lol.