'08 King Ranch really this slow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shabadoo

Reaction score
Having not used Torque Pro before, I can't tell you with certainty what features it has. Based off its Google Play store description, it does allow you to log the data from various vehicle sensors and send it to your computer to view in excel. It is immensely helpful when troubleshooting an issue. To see if the sluggishness is caused by timing being pulled, I would check if you can monitor spark advance, knock sensor, intake air temp., and cylinder head temp. data. If you want to go even further, you can make a DIY knock detector by splicing a male audio cable into a knock sensor and plugging it into your computer.

Additionally, Russell Lewis said bad catalytic converters will typically glow. You may be able to monitor the inferred cat. temps through the app. However, if they were getting that hot there should be a code thrown as once they go above a certain temp. the vehicle should enter a failsafe mode and run a rich fuel/air mixture.

Unfortunately, if what Habbibie said is true and you have clogged cats with no codes, I don't know of a way to test short of replacing them. Possibly there is a way to monitor catalytic convertor flow through the Torque Pro app.

In addition to all of this, your issue could just be an exhaust leak. I had a really bad one where the exhaust headers meet the block which caused the car to run horribly. It wasn't noticeable when the engine was cold (running open loop) but once it heated up, timing was being pulled and it was sluggish and awful to drive. There is already a thread on to build a DIY smoke machine but I just hooked up a leaf blower to the exhaust and sprayed soapy water where I thought the leaks were.

Sorry this is a bit long but when the only symptom is sluggish acceleration, there are many possibilities. I recommend logging as much data as you can with your app. It will allow us to troubleshoot without guessing or replacing parts.

OP
OP
34Ford

34Ford

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am waiting on a Ram base to hold my tablet then I am going to record some trips.
I did find the output of the timing and was surprised how erratic it was just doing a little rev up.

Still no engine lights, but I am noticing now since I cleaned the maf sensor that in the morning the throttle is erratic now. Like the motor actually speeds up a bit even though I am holding the pedal steady.

I may ask you later what things I should set the torque pro to record.

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I did a google search and found multiple complaints about 5.4 trucks with same issue ranging from coils, spark plugs, maf dirty, fuel pump, fuel filters and clogged cats also Neutral Safety Switch/Range Sensor.

I can do my own work, but should I bring this to the sellers attention, for a price reduction?
You should always bring everything up to get a price reduction.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you done plugs and coils & looked at your injectors?

When I was swapping plugs and coils, I'd start up the truck after doing 1 or 2 to make it easier to isolate any new issues if they arose (they didnt, it was actually super easy to do)... and when I revved it in park, the RPM it would spin up to quickly and easily moved up like +250 rpm / cylinder changed each time

I did have p0202 and p0302 codes for a #2 misfire that I took care of first, and they went away.... but changing the other 7 cylinders? NO CODES, just immediate improvement once done

Shabadoo

Reaction score
I am waiting on a Ram base to hold my tablet then I am going to record some trips.

Hopefully the data shows something. If not then I'm with Adieu, could be as simple as your plugs, coils, and injectors are old. Those are always worth replacing regularly.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rev it in park and see what RPM it spins up to easily

If it's ~5k your plugs and coils and injectors probably arent too bad... if it DOESN'T go to 5ish, start doing tuneup stuff.

PS it's a truck not a racecar dont expect the needle to max out instantly, it just has to spin up to 5k-ish smoothly and without protest

OP
OP
34Ford

34Ford

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rev it in park and see what RPM it spins up to easily

If it's ~5k your plugs and coils and injectors probably arent too bad... if it DOESN'T go to 5ish, start doing tuneup stuff.

PS it's a truck not a racecar dont expect the needle to max out instantly, it just has to spin up to 5k-ish smoothly and without protest

Oh so your saying for me to pat the throttle to the floor and let off and see what rpm it jumps up to.

Ill try that.

I did replace the plugs, easy job, one piece plugs.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just let it spin and see if it spins up to anywhere near where redline is supposed to be (5250 i think? Something like that), or gets stuck at far lower RPMs

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkxr4