'08 King Ranch really this slow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
34Ford

34Ford

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having not used Torque Pro before, I can't tell you with certainty what features it has. Based off its Google Play store description, it does allow you to log the data from various vehicle sensors and send it to your computer to view in excel. It is immensely helpful when troubleshooting an issue. To see if the sluggishness is caused by timing being pulled, I would check if you can monitor spark advance, knock sensor, intake air temp., and cylinder head temp. data. If you want to go even further, you can make a DIY knock detector by splicing a male audio cable into a knock sensor and plugging it into your computer.

Hi Philip,

I finally did a 12 mile trip to Lowes yesterday and I recorded the trip in the Torque Pro. I am surprised at the way the timing is all over the place. I have got to see which sensor in this app records knock and head temp.

Here is the csv file.

Attachments

• trackLog-2017-Dec-22_13-39-09.zip
    79.2 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
34Ford

34Ford

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, I found the knock sensor and the head temp. Will do another recording later.

Shabadoo

Reaction score
Sweet! I love data. I'm looking over it now. If you can log it, get engine load as well. I didn't see it in the CSV file. The ultimate timing that is run is determined primarily by Load and RPM.

Shabadoo

Reaction score
So I managed to import some of what you logged into SCT's Livelink program to view. First the obvious, the cat temps looked good, at least the ECM thought so. So we know the ECM isn't doing anything to mess with those. When it came to the spark advance it was a little difficult to tell if it was where it should be. Overall, it looked like it wasn't pulling timing to where you should notice a loss of power....however, they did seem somewhat erratic in some spots. Though that may due to how the data is displayed. For comparison, I took a snippet of a log I took today and compared it to yours.

Acceleration Snip.JPG
Fig. 1

Acceleration Snip 2.JPG
Fig 2.

In Fig. 1 Blue is RPM, Green is Load, and Red is Spark Advance. In Fig. 2 Red is Spark Advance, Green is RPM, and Yellow is Vehicle Speed. Mine will be a little different from yours because I turned off anything that allowed the ECM to add spark to the base tables since I also turned off the knock sensor to see if it was causing issues. As you can see, the spark advance follows RPM and almost looks like a mirror image of load. In Fig. 2 it looks a little more erratic but this could be due to how it displayed the information. Overall, it actually looks like Spark Advance follows RPM somewhat. Both when the engine is cold and at operating temp. It does vary which gives it an erratic look but I can't tell if that may be in response to a changing load on the engine. Like I said, if you can log load as well that will help give a more definite answer. If you would like, I can send you the file which opens in Livelink if you have it or want to download it (it's free). Additionally, another member may be able to look over this info. and provide some insight. I'm by no means an expert on this.

OP
OP
34Ford

34Ford

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sweet, thank you so much. I found the Livelink here, http://www.dynoproven.com/blog/sct-device-updater-software-download/

Will look at it later, however Torque Pro may have a site I can log into that will display the results in charts.

Yea, I am seeing the erratic timing when viewing the needle of the Torque Pro gage. Also I can actually see it fluctuate the actual tach in the truck, and I can also feel it when the motor is cold. I can be driving along holding the gas pedal steady and I can feel the motor speed up just a little bit and its random.

I might do a video of the TP gages while its working. Oh and I will see if I can log the engine load right now.

EDIT: Ok I added head temp and also fuel rail pressure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
34Ford

34Ford

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rev it in park and see what RPM it spins up to easily

If it's ~5k your plugs and coils and injectors probably arent too bad... if it DOESN'T go to 5ish, start doing tuneup stuff.

PS it's a truck not a racecar dont expect the needle to max out instantly, it just has to spin up to 5k-ish smoothly and without protest

Adieu, You still around?

Since I last talked to you things are getting worse. Basically I have just been driving it but last Friday I pulled a empty 7x14 enclosed trailer 350 miles and damn, I could floor this thing and it didn't do squat.

I am expecting a pressure gage Monday to check the cats, but back to the rpm thing you mentioned

Just for the heck of it, I was parked and I floored it.
Guess what, best it could do is 3000 rpm and then it dropped to about 2700 and sit there.

Well I guess that proves I have some kind of problem. Clogged exhaust or possibly starving for fuel.

It has never missed or sputtered. And not a code one.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a rev-limiter that won't let you over rev the motor. You can floor it and that's all that will happen.

Mine shifts at 5,300 RPM if I put it to the floor. A hair into the red zone on the tach (5,250 is redline).