08 Occasionally Stalls on Acceleration after idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yungdeezy

Reaction score
Bought this 08 Expy with 162k on it. Owners were honest in letting me know it had once sputtered after accel at a stop light.

Owned for a month and it did it to me. It lost power for about 10 seconds and fired back up. No engine code.

Mechanic had no solution due to no code they “felt”
it was fuel related…I had them replace fuel filter just because it’s cheap. Fuel pressure was fine btw. Fuel pump was replaced about 30k miles ago

Cleaned MAS and throttle body.

Will see if it acts up again but I have a feeling it will. It idles at 500 rpm in gear and acts fine otherwise.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Scotty_3

Reaction score
My 03 EB does the same thing. Dies randomly not always on accel though. Fuel pump replaced. Still does it. I did alot of research and found that the smart fuse panel under the hood has an internal relay soldered to the circuit board inside. There are 5 in a row and I think it's the middle relay. There is a YouTube video showing it. So it's either that failing causing the fuel pump to cut out. Or it's a bad ECU causing the fuel pump to cut out. Not sure if 08 has the same issue but that's what I found for my problem on the 2003 EB.

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure if our trucks have it, but my previous vehicle was a '97 land rover discovery, which had EVAP issues and idling issues. I replaced the Air Control Valve, which has various different names for different vehicles - it's essentially a little unit with a plunger which retracts and vise versa, plugged in with a 4 pin connector. this unit controls how much air is brought into the system when idling.

I also had to keep tinkering with the base idle screw, which is a large allen/hex screw on the driver side of the valve cover iirc - you adjust that to change the base idle RPM's and behavior.

again these things were on my land rover, and may not apply - but these EVAP related things, could be possibly linked to your issue. just food for thought.

I wouldn't exactly jump to spark plugs unless it was an obvious missfire - shuttering is a little different than a jerking missfire which is pretty obvious when it happens. by all means though, take some of the plugs out and inspect them, very easy and quick job imo. I am curious if you took the throttle body unit off when you cleaned it, or did you just spray and wipe? I sprayed and wiped mine when I bought it last year, however given your current issues, might be worthwhile to take off ( amazon has throttle body gaskets which you may want to have on-hand when removing the unit ).

OP
OP
Y

yungdeezy

Reaction score
Thank you for this….I did completely remove the throttle body and cleaned it. I think the part you’re referring to is the idle control value, however I can’t find that on this car and I’m wondering if these models do this electronically or something because I can’t find it to clean or replace

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you for this….I did completely remove the throttle body and cleaned it. I think the part you’re referring to is the idle control value, however I can’t find that on this car and I’m wondering if these models do this electronically or something because I can’t find it to clean or replace
good luck man, I don't think evap issues are common on these trucks but I could be wrong. there was a plethora of info on my land rover so it was easy to tackle it, hopefully you get some answers - or better yet, maybe the problem will stop happening :)

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would this explain the 500 rpm at idle? Would you say that’s abnormal?
I just realized you mentioned about 500 rpm for idle, I think my truck has always kind of idled around this rpm. not sure if others' are getting higher idle, I know that would be low for my land rover but for this expy it's just how it's always been. maybe someone else can chime in cause now i'm super curious as to the idle thing :)

OP
OP
Y

yungdeezy

Reaction score
Update: took to a shop today after driving it for 5 hours without issues, he plugged a scan tool in it and all cylinders were misfiring a good bit. Going to try to replace the spark plugs and see if this resolves it. Optimistic