10 mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

04ebexpy

Reaction score
I just did all the plugs properly gapped with all new coils and air filter and an induction service 1k miles ago

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it 2 or 4 wheel drive? A last year 4.6 2 wheel drive should be around 13-14 city, and 4 wheel drive around 11-12. Highway obviously jumps. My 2000 4 wheel drive gets 10 city, 15-16 highway. I have larger wheels 20 inch, which I hear Rob's some. Try what Brian said about having fuel trim checked, you might be running fat.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP

04ebexpy

Reaction score
Yea it’s a two wheel drive and ok what is the best method to have my trims checked? All the normal simple stuff I’m fairly certain I’ve covered so it’s got me more than a bit confused.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to go to a shop or maybe a friend that has a better scanner that can read what is called fuel trims. Any of the shops that use Snap on, Matco, Ford Approved or any better quality scanners can tell you. Sounds like you may need to have an experienced shop finish this job, nothing wrong there. These are tough Suvs to wrench on. Finding driveability issues tougher still. I've seen some of the best get stumped.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pull the front O2 sensor on the side that you think is clogged, and either install a pressure gauge or a hose of some sort start your Expy and feel for any air pressure. If there is more than 2 or 3 psi its clogged. CATS aren't suppose to have any pressure in them.

OP
OP

04ebexpy

Reaction score
That’s an interesting thought I will have to look into that when I have time

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another way to see if all 4 cats are clear, get ahold of a digital temp gauge. Heat up your SUV, aim it at the entrance and exit of each cat, the temp should be 100-200 higher at exit side, towards rear of vehicle. If not you found you scalded [emoji250]!

OP
OP

04ebexpy

Reaction score
I don’t have a temp gauge but I do have an obd reader and the torque app it registers fuel trims I just have to figure out how to read them

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Search for 'Schroedingers box fuel trim' on YouTube. He has one of the best videos out there if you want to learn how to use fuel trims to help diagnose a lot of different problems.