$100k Navigator-cant make them fast enough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Big Brian

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know I said I wouldn't comment but let me add another bit that these sources are not disclosing. I must add that demand is still nowhere near 2003-2008. That's why you have to take everything you read with a grain of salt. For example in 2003 ford sold 181,000 Expeditions, in 2017 they sold 51,000 Expeditions. The sales gains for 2018 if true at 41% gain that brings it up to 73,000 units. Not even half of what was sold in 2003. In 2007 (mine) ford sold over 90,000 units (almost 20,000 more than expected demand for 2018). That's why we need the big picture all I'm saying guys. Facts like Jeff said can be skewed any way and these articles are not showing the whole picture. Production of this truck has been throttled waaayyy back for years and now there is some demand so of course they need to add capacity. The articles listed are all correct in ways and are good reads, but don't let them fool you that demand is higher than ever (it's not even half of what it was in its prime).

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/ford/ford-expedition/

That being said yes ford has greatly improved sales obviously and is on a good track with this vehicle. It's a well designed truck and a redesign was well due, kudos on the increase. Good reads.
yes but they are not tooled up to make them at 2003 levels

The article is about the fact that they cannot keep up at the current production levels. Not comparing them to previous sales of the vehicle from 15 years ago

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree we should not compare them to 2003 levels, as that is not useful. One can only compare them to current levels. That's how we can measure improvement. Year over Year, month over month. That's how Wall Street measures them, and thats also how Ford measures itself.

Ford has a winner on its hands, and there is improvement. They have moved in the RIGHT direction. I think that's the take away, in my opinion.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree we should not compare them to 2003 levels, as that is not useful. One can only compare them to current levels. That's how we can measure improvement. Year over Year, month over month. That's how Wall Street measures them, and thats also how Ford measures itself.

Ford has a winner on its hands, and there is improvement. They have moved in the RIGHT direction. I think that's the take away, in my opinion.

Agreed, not to mention the factors that have worked against these trucks. I don't fault ford for the drop on demand.

Economic Recession
High gas prices
Increased competition in the marketplace
Higher number of crossovers
Etc etc.

It's not as easy to spark demand for these as it was back then. Not to mention then high pricing on new vehicles, lots of buyers aren't buying new as they once did. Different world today than 2003, still worth the comparison to show the drop.

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
and I was bringing to light that I would cast doubt on anything printed on CNBC....

but it looks like their claims are accepted face value and the discussion lies in production numbers and capability..........

jeff

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really?? You don’t trust CNBC? Do you think they have an agenda to make it seem like Ford is selling more expensive cars than it really is? If yes, I couldn’t disagree more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not to put words in Jeff's mouth, but I think he was implying anything NBC propagates should be taken with a grain of salt. This particular article may be accurate, but they are certainly a questionable news source. .....Example of one of the head lines today; "Trump has already given Kim Jong Un 'everything he wants". This is clearly a fallacy, but the network unashamedly posts articles like this on a daily basis. This is part of the reason the media has historically low trustworthy ratings by the American public.

Back to Expeditions....

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"That's for all them yuppies that got more dollars than sense. With that kind of money you could get a mercedes or land rover."

And why would you want a Mercedes? Many have terrible reliability problems. But none are as problem prone as LRs.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My only question is have they fixed the paint issues on aluminum that affect a lot of years. As of November the model list was every vehicle that used aluminum from 2007-2017 model years.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This not believing the news that Ford is doing well with Expedition and Navigator sales is getting absurd. So people don't believe CNBC's report because its associated with NBC? There is also a local Detroit news paper reporting the same thing. Oh, and Ford's own press release states the same thing- and they are a public company who's stock is followed and all company comments are scrutinized by Wall Street analysts. Oh, wait, and they are physically adding factory capacity to make more of these beautiful trucks so I guess you could go and talk to someone at the plant if you wanted to.

It must be a vast, global, conspiracy...all to make it look like Ford is actually selling more expensive trucks than it really is. Common guys, lol.

Last edited: