10W30?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kryo-Genik

Reaction score
Dunno. In the lightning community we use 5w20 unless our engine builder states otherwise. Weve had folks suffer from oil starvation etc. I'm in west Texas and never had an issue with 5w20

TomB985

Reaction score
This is been endlessly debated since Ford change the standard to 5W-20 almost 20 years ago. A few years ago I spent a lot of time on BITOG another oil forums trying to learn more, as well as perform a half-dozen oil analyses to see for myself.

In the end, the idea that thicker oil is helpful is a commonly-believed myth. The temperature inside your engine is controlled by the thermostat to a relatively narrow range after warm-up, and your engine oil doesn't care how hot it is outside. You can find more 300,000-mile examples of modular V-8's than you could shake a stick at that have seen nothing but 5W 20 their entire lives site; some of them predominantly used for towing in hot climates. If lubrication with 5W-20 was a problem you would see common failures, but you generally don't. These engines are among the longest lasting things on the road, the overwhelming majority outlast the chassis they're installed in.

I've heard the argument that thicker oil can cause damage, but it seems rare to find examples of that. I prefers 0W-20 because of the increased protection on cold starts while retaining viscosity at high temperature. I even towed 14,000 pounds across the country in 2012 with 0W-20 in the V10-powered Excursion and never had a problem.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've ran 10-30 in mine since I've owned it, just over 18k miles and 17 months. It just turned 223k on the way back from a 600mi round trip to tennesse.

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I highly respect and consult the Ford Tech Maculoco
You Tube videos for my problematic '05 all the time.
He too recommends changing to 10W20 for many of the same reasons stated here. The first owner used 10W30. When I got this truck at 46K, it was already making the cam chain whipping noise at startup due to the leaking hydraulic tensioners. My personal experience was by changing back to 10 (or5) W20, I practically eliminated this noise. With 118K on the engine now, it's not a question of if but when it's going to need the timing modifications to eliminate the issues with the cam chain and VVT on these engines, especially the '05 &'06. But the thinner 10W20 helps on startup on mine.

BOB4254

Reaction score
Something to consider. I bought my 98 brand new and change the oil every 5k. Mileage= 125,000. Runs like the day I bought it.
Oil change requires 6 quarts with a new filter.
5 quarts Mobil 1 High Mileage full synthetic motor oil 10W-40
1 quart Marvel Mystery oil
Only use Motercraft oil filter

This 5.4 engine runs so quiet it feels like it has stalled when I stop for a red light.