13-14 3v 5.4L engines. Cam phaser or Rocker issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1exped

Reaction score
I am checking out a 13 EL Lim with about 135K, asking 20K. Are there still issues with cam phasers for those years? The salesman said 100% no.

I listened by a wall, sounded a bit like the Explorer I have now when it had an exhaust leak.

The salesman said there is nothing wrong with it.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Oh hell yes. If you do more research you’ll see the 5.4’s (and all variable cam timing Ford engines) have issues w phasers, cam chains, chain guides made of plastic, and stretched cam chains.

The 3v 5.4 is more notorious for these common failures.

Know when a car salesman is lying?

Do your searches.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am checking out a 13 EL Lim with about 135K, asking 20K. Are there still issues with cam phasers for those years? The salesman said 100% no.

I listened by a wall, sounded a bit like the Explorer I have now when it had an exhaust leak.

The salesman said there is nothing wrong with it.
I don't think they were fixed until the eco 6 came out. There is something wrong with it though, tell him you will buy it if he fixes the tick. My 07 has 138k on it and sounds like a Rolex.

OP
OP

1exped

Reaction score
Oh hell yes. If you do more research you’ll see the 5.4’s (and all variable cam timing Ford engines) have issues w phasers, cam chains, chain guides made of plastic, and stretched cam chains.

Do your searches.
Thanks for the reply
I did searches, seems like it is an 04-08 problem MOSTLY. Rare after that, but who knows. I don't see many oil change records either. Don't mean it wasn't done, but who knows...

OP
OP

1exped

Reaction score
I don't think they were fixed until the eco 6 came out. There is something wrong with it though, tell him you will buy it if he fixes the tick. My 07 has 138k on it and sounds like a Rolex.
Thanks for the reply.
I thought the exhaust manifold issue was resolved in later years, I guess not :(

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Do your searches.
Actually chains don't stretch and they wear very little. You didn't mention the tensioners which is the main problem, also plastic is the best material and will last forever unless you neglect the tensioners. Salesmen never lie.....maybe wrong there, lol.

OP
OP

1exped

Reaction score
I asked a Ford Dealer, they said to have an engine in mind if you don't know the service history. They said they do 5.4L's 3Vs every day. Usually they swap in a Ford Reman. Are there ones that have no problems? Sure. But he said you are welcome to come down this week to see some carnage.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dealer techs throw engines at everything because they have no clue how to fix them or how they operate. “Have an engine lined up”...what a clown. They also don’t fix them right is because they want the commission on that $8,000 job...

Last edited:

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Phaser issues in all the 3 valves. They’re seeing some in the 5.0 coyotes as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My opinion is they are all fine engines if they are maintained properly with oil and filter changes. They are more sensitive to needing clean oil for tensioners to work properly. They aren’t as forgiving as an old 300 straight six is when it comes to oil changes that’s for sure. Find one with good maintenance records and you’ll be fine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357