13-14 3v 5.4L engines. Cam phaser or Rocker issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brent Harward

Reaction score
Luv me some 5.4. If it has a good history oil changes I don't think you'll have a problem. Dirty conditions and running the oil too long kill phasers. JS

ssmock

Reaction score
I am checking out a 13 EL Lim with about 135K, asking 20K. Are there still issues with cam phasers for those years? The salesman said 100% no.

I listened by a wall, sounded a bit like the Explorer I have now when it had an exhaust leak.

The salesman said there is nothing wrong with it.

I had to have a exhaust manifold replaced at around 100K miles after towing a trailer over the mountains on my 2014 Limited. Started out with a small ticking sound like a lifter sticking or something. More pronounced in a enclosed area. Thankful it was covered under my Ford ESP warranty but that would have cost over a $1,000 at the dealer with two broken studs needing replacing. Common issue with these engines I am told.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had to have a exhaust manifold replaced at around 100K miles after towing a trailer over the mountains on my 2014 Limited. Started out with a small ticking sound like a lifter sticking or something. More pronounced in a enclosed area. Thankful it was covered under my Ford ESP warranty but that would have cost over a $1,000 at the dealer with two broken studs needing replacing. Common issue with these engines I am told.
Fairly common but not as common as the V-10 engine exhaust was.

Art Tonucci

Reaction score
Just FYI. Bought a King Ranch 2013 with 62k miles for 21. Clean Florida car. Negotiate hard. And yes these 5.4s have all of the associated issues you mentioned. Change oil at 4 k. Good oil only, no junk

OP
OP

1exped

Reaction score
Wouldn't a 13 or 14 use the SS bolts? That is what the mechanic at the used car dealer told me.

OP
OP

1exped

Reaction score
Just FYI. Bought a King Ranch 2013 with 62k miles for 21. Clean Florida car. Negotiate hard. And yes these 5.4s have all of the associated issues you mentioned. Change oil at 4 k. Good oil only, no junk
Yeah, I think 20K is a bit overpriced. I checked again today and now it is 19. The trade in 12Kish, that would be on a good day. Probably 16-17 is a fair price for 13' Limited EL with 130K. Since it is upstate NY there is some rust too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes