13-14 3v 5.4L engines. Cam phaser or Rocker issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That job looks like a nightmare.
It is but with the right tools and some experience you can do it. There was a woman on the FTE Excursion forum that wasn't a mechanic that weighs 100 pounds and she did it on a v-10 which is harder.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I had to have a exhaust manifold replaced at around 100K miles after towing a trailer over the mountains on my 2014 Limited. Started out with a small ticking sound like a lifter sticking or something. More pronounced in a enclosed area. Thankful it was covered under my Ford ESP warranty but that would have cost over a $1,000 at the dealer with two broken studs needing replacing. Common issue with these engines I am told.

Just towed a heavy trailer from Illinois to Florida through the Tennessee mountains on I-24. Blew an exhaust manifold gasket but then again I have 212,***. Sounded awful.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Not too bad a job on the 2000. Did my passenger side in a couple of hours.

Yup. I had it done, both banks. Several studs broke due to rust. I’m that way. If the truck needs something I just get it done asap. My OCD won’t let me keep anything broke or out of order.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
UPDATE: I’ve been reading on all types of trucks. Ford, Chevy Silverado, Toyota Tundra.

Damn. There isn’t a damn truck or build date that doesn’t have a common failure or TSB or something.

Back to my ole gal again. Just drove from central Florida to Asheville and back. Purrs. This truck just won’t let me retire her. Just unbelievable.

Buddy was talking about “ planned obsolescence “. First time I’ve heard of such a thing.
Makes sense though. Average ownership on new cars are 3 years.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Actually chains don't stretch and they wear very little. You didn't mention the tensioners which is the main problem, also plastic is the best material and will last forever unless you neglect the tensioners. Salesmen never lie.....maybe wrong there, lol.

Ive read the Ford recall as well as posts on F150 forum where almost all had chain stretching as much as 3/4 of inch.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ive read the Ford recall as well as posts on F150 forum where almost all had chain stretching as much as 3/4 of inch.
That's definitely impossible, actually they wear if not constantly oiled but never stretch. That metal is WAY too hard for that.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Wish I could have found someone here to do that job for $600. They were talking $1800 in labor.

What finally did in my 2000 was a head gasket oil and water leak over the starter at 260,000 miles, a known Ford machining problem. Would have kept running if not for that.

Last edited: