14 Temp Spike

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the coolant is low, no need to add more coolant. Just add water.

Adding coolant to the plastic reservoir will not immediately fill the radiator.
Coolant will only flow from the reservoir to the radiator during engine cool-down
via a siphon. If the siphon is not working, the 'closed system' has been breached, and
air is entering the cooling system via a 'hole' in the system. If the reservoir level does
not reduce during cool-down, you have a leak.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alright, update!

Today I replaced the thermostat (OEM), the water pump (OEM), the serpentine belt (I can’t remember the brand), and the radiator cap (Stant). In refilling the radiator, I burped the system, as well.
One or all of these, minus the belt, seems to have fixed the overheating/temp spike and restored heat in the cab. I still need to go out for an extended drive to make sure everything is good.

I might have a coolant leak, however. I’m not sure how much coolant is still hanging around in some nook or cranny underneath the car, but I can say there was a puddle underneath the car collecting/dripping from the transmission/close to the oil pan.

I also might have not refilled the system enough, therefore the plastic reservoir is depleting overtime - so this coupled with the old coolant under the truck could give the impression of a leak.

I have two more gallons of orange coolant that I’ll keep around for refilling the system.

Question: is adding extra coolant from the plastic reservoir ok? Or should I pull the radiator cap and fill from there?

Thank you EVERYONE for all of your recommendations, advice, and replies!
Put it in the reservoir and check it later. I would bet it was the stat that fixed it. With that bottom passage the stat has to work perfectly.

OP
OP
Joe Public

Joe Public

Reaction score
To add to the possible source of my leak, I do have rear air and the fact that the coolant is collecting at the back of the engine/near the transmission makes me think these hoses might be the source.

Papaboo

Reaction score
Earlier post I had dealer do my radiator flush. They cleanout system and put in the correct mixture amount of coolant checking thermostat that its working properly and check for leaks. When you add water to overflow canister and radiator the coolant looses its ability to absorb heat and cool properly. It was easier to let them do it than doing myself, have to find some where to dispose of old antifreeze. Not many places accept it where I am in Florida. I am fortunate I have a GREAT DEALER AND THEY TREAT ME RIGHT!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360