140k miles - now what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m going for 300k on my 07. I did the new oil pump and tensioners, guides, etc. also installed a new torque converter and replaced solenoids and filter/fluid for transmission. I don’t need a payment any time soon with school and trying to save for actual useful assets.

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To the OP, 140k is nothing and the truck has a lot of life left. Resale value will be low and hail damaged hurts even more. Keep it for travel. I can’t think of much else that’s better for a long road trip, can you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobE

Reaction score
Keep it for travel. I can’t think of much else that’s better for a long road trip, can you?
I drove from Florida to Washington state last Winter in my 2012 Limited with the family. Really, this vehicle is the best road trip vehicle for all types of weather.

DCowan

Reaction score
If it drives well and you enjoy it, just keep driving it. I had never had a vehicle past 100k until my 07Exp, and began worrying that I should upgrade, but kept driving with very few problems. Had a minor leak in transmission cooler at 150k, changed all the hoses at 200k and at 220k replaced the fuel pump...the truck never spent a single night at a repair shop, but got regular maintenance. As my work and travel truck it got heavy use, towing boat and equipment trailers...and continued to drive just like it did when I purchased it. At 233k I upgraded to 13Exp...hoping to get a repeat performance with very similar truck.

Gumbyalso

Reaction score
I have a 2000 EB 5.4 4WD with 326k miles on it. Had it since it was new. It's my everyday driver. Only major non-wear failure was a cracked intake manifold. Everything else has been wear items except the anti-lock break electrical unit that I had rebuilt for $120 over ten years ago. My wife has a 2011 XLT 5.4 4WD that we've had since new. It has 194K on it. It has had NO major repairs but 4WD Low is inop. The only non-wear item I can recall failing on the 2011 is the seat heater connector and a seat fan. I do all preventive maintenance + brakes, etc myself. I wouldn't be concerned about leaving tomorrow to drive either of my Expeditions across country and back. I'd have to carry some extra oil for the 2000, but that's about it. A 2010 with 140K? If you (and the person who owned it the first 5 years) have taken care of it it should last a lot longer. I agree with Trainmaster. Change tranny fluid and screen and transfer case fluid. And do the rust-through checks he recommended. I wouldn't do the coils until 200K unless you have an ignition problem. I change the tranny fluid & screen every 30K on the 2000 and every 75K on the 2011. I change the transfer fluid on both every 75K and differentials at 150K. I've used synthetic oil since they were new and change it every 5000. I also use Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak every oil change on the 2000. It has zero leaks, zero noise and a smooth idle. Runs like it did when it was new. I'm a fan of the 5.4s and wished they still made them. I changed the plugs on our 2011 in 45 minutes with no problems. Original ball joints are still good at 194K.

Herby

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Expedition EL Limited with 192,000 miles. Haven't had any manifold issues as of yet but my mind is prepared for when that time comes. Just completed a timing chain replacement job. Heard a rattle during cold start up and had the work done 60 days later. If you hear that cold start rattle, don't let it go to far without addressing. Can lead to cam and rocker arm issues. Had thoughts of upgrading to a newer model but I am not an Ecoboost fan. Since I am meticulous on maintaining my Expy, I decided to keep it a few years longer. It's paid for, very reliable and looks great. All vehicles in this large SUV segment are all north of $60K and I think the cash will be best used on my mortgage.