150 Watt Inverters - Why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phillip White

Reaction score
I've been having to purchase Expeditions due to my having 5 people in my household that weigh about 250lbs per. So it's a necessary evil to pay the premium on these vehicles.

I am finding it advantageous right now to trade in my current 2019 Expedition Limited MAX Platinum for a new 2022 but notice that FORD still insists on equipping these premium
vehicles with only 150 watt inverters when all their run-of-the-mill trucks get 400 watt ones. Anyone know why this is? I can't even use a 150 watt inverter for my laptop as it needs
160 watts minimum.

Just seems to me this is a rather large oversight? I mean - it's a hundred or so dollar difference but could make a huge difference for people, like myself, who want to use these features but can't.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep.. this is one of those head-scratchers.

One of the many reasons I think I would have made a killing as a design engineer in Detroit.
Many auto-makers make decisions that make you wonder if they have any actual “car people” working for them.
And more importantly are there real “car people” and ”truck enthusiasts” and “soccer moms” on their staff that are in a position to MAKE DESIGN DECISIONS!!

My first two “mods” to my 2018 platinum, were to replace the 110 outlet with one that power cords will actually, you know, STAY plugged in to. And add a 1000 watt inverter under the passenger seat.

Followed closely by installing the Auto-Stop eliminator.

OP
OP
P

Phillip White

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! This will be more 4th Expedition and you are right! It's like no one on the team even drives these premium vehicles.

In fact, that's not the only thing that bothers me about their features but that is the biggest peeve followed closely by the silly kick to open/close liftgate which is most annoying when it opens and closes of its own volition.
I mean, why would you make a feature like that and not have the option of turning that off? But that is another topic :)

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just marketing .... so they can say their SUV has a power plug in it.... doesn't matter if it won't power an electric shaver, as most people have no idea what their power needs might be... but when they read a brochure that says it has power plugs they go crazy for it ... GM at least uses a 400w inverter, but even that is not that much power. But it will do a laptop or phone, or a small drill...

Last edited:

bryz_expy

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! This will be more 4th Expedition and you are right! It's like no one on the team even drives these premium vehicles.

In fact, that's not the only thing that bothers me about their features but that is the biggest peeve followed closely by the silly kick to open/close liftgate which is most annoying when it opens and closes of its own volition.
I mean, why would you make a feature like that and not have the option of turning that off? But that is another topic :)
I disconnected the sensor under the rear bumper and waterproofed the connectors to avoid moisture from getting in there. First time the tailgate bumped me in the head with a large item I was struggling with was the last straw. There should definitely be a switch to disable it or have the option in the IPC. The option to disable the tailgate assist is there why not the kick sensor.

aryantes

Reaction score
Yep.. this is one of those head-scratchers.

One of the many reasons I think I would have made a killing as a design engineer in Detroit.
Many auto-makers make decisions that make you wonder if they have any actual “car people” working for them.
And more importantly are there real “car people” and ”truck enthusiasts” and “soccer moms” on their staff that are in a position to MAKE DESIGN DECISIONS!!

My first two “mods” to my 2018 platinum, were to replace the 110 outlet with one that power cords will actually, you know, STAY plugged in to. And add a 1000 watt inverter under the passenger seat.

Followed closely by installing the Auto-Stop eliminator.
Hello! I know this is an old thread but it came up in my search for figuring out if I can upgrade the 110v 150W outlet in the 2022 Expedition.

Is that an easy install for your 2018? The 1000 watt inverter? I was curious if I have to worry about upgrading the alternator/batteries. Or if I can just straight up replace the existing inverter with a better one, as opposed to a separate one.

Thanks

OP
OP
P

Phillip White

Reaction score
Hello! I know this is an old thread but it came up in my search for figuring out if I can upgrade the 110v 150W outlet in the 2022 Expedition.

Is that an easy install for your 2018? The 1000 watt inverter? I was curious if I have to worry about upgrading the alternator/batteries. Or if I can just straight up replace the existing inverter with a better one, as opposed to a separate one.

Thanks
You won't be able to straight up replace the existing one. The heat created by the larger one is far greater than the 150 watt one. Also, the cabling would also be much bigger in diameter making the space where the existing one is not as viable.
If you are going to install a 1000 watt inverter you would be advised to install it somewhere else.

aryantes

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I will look into what it takes to install a larger inverter when I get my car.
Do you think we need high output alternators to run a 1000 watt inverter in addition to the existing 150?

OP
OP
P

Phillip White

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I will look into what it takes to install a larger inverter when I get my car.
Do you think we need high output alternators to run a 1000 watt inverter in addition to the existing 150?
You won't need any changes with respect to an alternator. You will, however, due well with a second battery. Having said that you could also run a 1000 watt without a second battery but this would depend on what sort of usage/load you would be putting on the 1000 watt.

image98

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm disappointed about this as well. I have a 2017 Raptor and a 2019 Limited Expedition. Why the vehicles don't use the same inverter is disappointing. If anything, I wish Ford gave the Expedition the option for a better inverter and perhaps a larger alternator.