17 Ecoboost

Discussion in '5 Star Tuning' started by coolzzy, Apr 29, 2018.

1. coolzzy

coolzzy Full Access Members

I just picked up a 17 EL 4x4. I had a great performance tow tune in my 5.4 F150 that I traded in (returned to stock tune first). What benefits will I get out of tuning the ecoboost expedition? It will be a daily driver for my wife but will also be towing my travel trailer now that the truck is gone. I don't want harsh shifts or to mess with my powertrain warranty but the electronic throttle improvements would be nice.

2. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Member

I just got tunes for my 17 Expedition. We took a 350 mile trip to south Florida last week. The trip down I was burning 87 octane with the stock tune, cruise control was set 0n 82 mph. Got 16.5 MPG.

I loaded the 89 Eco tune and filled up with 89 octane for the trip home. Set the cruise control on 82 again. I got 19.9 mpg. Pretty impressive.
    With a stock tune I normally get 17.5 mpg on 89 octane gas on the interstate.

3. MattyMMA

MattyMMA Active Member

Which performance tow tune for the 5.4 did you have? Did you have to run higher than 87? I kind of like 89 towing anyway. Wouldn't mind a little finer tuning for our long tows

Thanks, Matt

4. FordTraveler

FordTraveler New Member

What does the owner's manual call for? On my other Ford it says to use "91" as a "suggested" fuel. And if you use anything other than the "suggested" and have any issues with engine, they are not covered under warranty. I hate paying for premium on such a large vehicle. I've been using 91 octane. I have been contemplating E85.

5. jeff kushner

jeff kushner Full Access Members

Did you ever do that E85 thing? I figure that since a couple of months have passed, if you did, we could all hear how that worked out for you.....???

jeff

6. coolzzy

coolzzy Full Access Members

I ran the five star 87 octane performance tow tune with ODLK (locked out 6rh gear when tow haul mode was turned on), and it was a great tune. I'd still run 89 octane when it was hot and I was towing. On the 17 expy, I'm running the 5 star 87 octane performance tow tune as well, and I run 91 octane when towing. The ecoboost likes higher octane fuel in demanding situations like towing and when it's hot. I haven't really noticed a mpg difference between 87 and 91 octane though ymmv

7. mquick5

mquick5 Full Access Members

Are they all e85 compatible or do they have to be marked? I haven't seen anything on my that leads me to believe it is e85.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

8. NASCAR Mike

NASCAR Mike Full Access Members

Our Expy's are not E85 compatible. Only the 5.4 Expy's that were marked were OK.

jeff kushner likes this.
  9. mquick5

mquick5 Full Access Members

Thx.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk