'17 Expy trailer wiring receptacle awkward, any solutions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford has used this system for years and it makes me envious when I use the much easier one on my son's GMC pick-up truck. For those of you without trailer use, both the 4 plug harness and the 7 plug harness are underneath the rear bumper and a real pain to hook up.

I'm sure I'm not the only one looking to improve the ease of hooking up the wiring harness, so has anyone come up with a simple modification to make it easier?

thanks,

Peter

WifeyExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford has used this system for years and it makes me envious when I use the much easier one on my son's GMC pick-up truck. For those of you without trailer use, both the 4 plug harness and the 7 plug harness are underneath the rear bumper and a real pain to hook up.

I'm sure I'm not the only one looking to improve the ease of hooking up the wiring harness, so has anyone come up with a simple modification to make it easier?

thanks,

Peter
I agree it is pain, especially since I am older. My guess is Ford wanted a clean look and 'hid' these things. Still, as you say, it is a pain compared to the GM products.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't think it was much of a pain until I had to do a hookup of the camper during a thunderstorm. But they are hidden away nicely for the other 98% of the time I am NOT towing.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score

thanks,

Peter
I agree , cured it, and use the 7 pin option. I painted a white stripe (you can use white tape) on the top of the plug and another little one on the receiver top and took the stiff spring out of the receiver plug by removing it and sliding the pin out and then back in so now the cover still drops down and still covers fine. I also cut the bump off the plug so it doesn't catch on the cover edge plus I sprayed the plug with silicone...…….it's an easy one handed operation now.

Last edited: