18MPG around town on 03 5.4l

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jdcline54

Reaction score
1030181532.jpg
So it started out with a p0304 and right bank lean code. After doing a little reading I came to the assumption that it was cops and plugs. So I avoided doing the job for 2 years because I was afraid after what I had read...2 years later it got bad enough I had to fix it.

So without doing any diagnosis at all I swapped out the plugs and cops, using motorcraft of course. Didn't use liquid wrench or anything, just light pressure and a combination of extensions und universals. Everything went as smoothly. It was obvious that the right bank was running super lean, wish I had done it sooner..

After getting it back together it ran smoother with no codes appearing, but still had a slight miss that was hard to notice. Couldn't figure it out so I went to basic thinking..

What does an engine need to run?
Air, fuel, compression, ignition.
I had fuel and ignition for sure so I ran compression and got some funky results. Moved to leak down and everything showed fine. Found out I was doing compression tests wrong, redid it and all was good.

At this point all that was left was the air factor. So I went to the shop at the college and ran smoke through the vacuum lines. There was the problem... Smoke poured from brake booster, EGR, lower intake, and valve cover on left side. Spent about 120 bucks fixed all this, which was relatively easy no special tools required, except Ford fuel line tool. (which I made from a sharpie lid) the result was 18ish MPG around town 25ish on freeway after 200 miles.

Imagine how much time, energy, and money I could have wasted with properly diagnosing the issue..

Moral of the story:
Stop throwing parts at an issue until you know what it really is.

I was ready to pull and rebuild or replace the motor.. Or drive it off a cliff... That sure wouldn't have been cost effective.

Esat

Reaction score
View attachment 27639
So it started out with a p0304 and right bank lean code. After doing a little reading I came to the assumption that it was cops and plugs. So I avoided doing the job for 2 years because I was afraid after what I had read...2 years later it got bad enough I had to fix it.

So without doing any diagnosis at all I swapped out the plugs and cops, using motorcraft of course. Didn't use liquid wrench or anything, just light pressure and a combination of extensions und universals. Everything went as smoothly. It was obvious that the right bank was running super lean, wish I had done it sooner..

After getting it back together it ran smoother with no codes appearing, but still had a slight miss that was hard to notice. Couldn't figure it out so I went to basic thinking..

What does an engine need to run?
Air, fuel, compression, ignition.
I had fuel and ignition for sure so I ran compression and got some funky results. Moved to leak down and everything showed fine. Found out I was doing compression tests wrong, redid it and all was good.

At this point all that was left was the air factor. So I went to the shop at the college and ran smoke through the vacuum lines. There was the problem... Smoke poured from brake booster, EGR, lower intake, and valve cover on left side. Spent about 120 bucks fixed all this, which was relatively easy no special tools required, except Ford fuel line tool. (which I made from a sharpie lid) the result was 18ish MPG around town 25ish on freeway after 200 miles.

Imagine how much time, energy, and money I could have wasted with properly diagnosing the issue..

Moral of the story:
Stop throwing parts at an issue until you know what it really is.

I was ready to pull and rebuild or replace the motor.. Or drive it off a cliff... That sure wouldn't have been cost effective.
Tell us about the smoke testing and the fixes you made a bit more (a lot more)[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Jdcline54

Reaction score
Gary, when I'm driving with my foot in it, I manage about 15.5 to 16.

Esat, you want more details for real? Or was that sarcasm? Lol

Because this is the short, edited post. Lol but if you honestly want details I'll post them.

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gary, when I'm driving with my foot in it, I manage about 15.5 to 16.

Esat, you want more details for real? Or was that sarcasm? Lol

Because this is the short, edited post. Lol but if you honestly want details I'll post them.
He's serious, and if he isn't I am. Yes please share more about the experience with the smoke test and subsequent repairs.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes, I was serious, I can't get anything like the MPG you are getting around town. I have not heard of the smoke test and would be interested in hearing how it is performed. Don't think I have a leak but always like to learn new techniques to find problems. Please share..

Gary

Esat

Reaction score
He's serious, and if he isn't I am. Yes please share more about the experience with the smoke test and subsequent repairs.
Dead serious, I would like to learn and check my expy ,if it will go 18 in City.

Esat

Reaction score
Reality is on highway 14 miles or so