1997-2000 Radiator/Lower hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard Gross

Reaction score
If you’re just replacing lower hose, the only hose that I could find with “quick-disconnect” for the RWD tow package model was Motorcraft and expensive. Cheapest I found was Rockauto @ $87. 4wd is $40 @ AdvanceAuto and you can buy that hose and a so called OEM aftermarket RWD tow package hose that won’t have QD and put RWD oil cooler hoses on the 4wd with QD for less than $87. The aftermarket hoses don’t have QD so people have just put hose clamps on them and go. If you’re going to do that I recommend you measure where the O rings are on hose bib and place hose clamps directly over those two locations.

Now, if your replacing radiator watch out. I could not find an aftermarket radiator that was manufactured with proper lower hose outlet dia. They are .02” dia. smaller than Motorcraft radiator and come with O rings that are not Motorcraft equivalents. If you want to go inexpensive, (cheapest Motorcraft radiator was $530 + shipping) use aftermarket radiator, hose and hose clamp it. DO NOT USE STAYCO RADIATOR! The peacock drain tube is molded closed because it was molded in wrong location. So if you think you’re smart and drill it out, the petcock will not seal it.

You can make an aftermarket radiator with undersized outlet work with Motorcraft QD hose by carefully wrapping it with plumbers PTFE tape. Remove O rings and lay tape so it’s width will cover both Oring lands. Mine used 4 wraps and try to be as uniform as possible. Not a hard task with radiator removed. Install new Motorcraft Orings #N811343-S. When installing hose on the radiator in the vehicle with all the other hoses connected, the clue that you have enough wraps will be the hose will not spring back after you turn engaging the locking tangs. I used old QD and judging from the feel of it going on the old Motorcraft radiator I judged the feel of whether I had enough tape to seal. I also bought new Motorcraft O rings as the ones provided are not going to work with QD, it will leak. It will leak if you just use the new Orings, been there, done that. I also marked radiator in relation to locking tab as to know where to line up gangs so hose goes on easily.

I ended up with Spectra radiator from AutoZone. Same problem with outlet size, however additionally it had a bad transmission line fitting. Wasn’t ready to R&R again so PTFE to the rescue. It is rated 3000 psi and -450 to 500F. If your wondering why I just didn’t by a Motorcraft radiator, vehicle had 322,000+ miles on all original drivetrain. We pretty much just use it to haul dod around and stuff that will fit when it is racing in lieu of truck. It might be worth $800 to someone if they’d had enough to drink.

Now couple of tips for radiator/hose R&R. Fan shroud can just be tied back out of way so you don’t have to remove fan. Only have to remove air filter housing, like when you R&R air filter. Then remove air filter housing cool air inlet tube from fender. Remove overflow/degas tank. For better access to lower hose you don’t need to remove inner fender well, just pull out of way and hold it there with a piece of wood or something wedged between it and frame.

If you want to clean degas tank, I used a little radiator flush and rice. Shake the rice around with hot water and radiator flush. Dish soap works too. CAUTION: the degas tank has two sections inside. Make sure you get all the rice out! It’s a PITA but rewarding when it’s clean with new anti freeze inside and you can see fill lines.

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure why you're having an issue with the hoses and radiator. Why would the hoses be different between 2wd & 4wd ?? That makes no sense to me.

3 yrs ago I replaced the radiator and hoses in my 99 EB 5.4. According to the VIN, it came with the factory tow package, but the radiator apparently had been replaced at some point with a cheap ass aftermarket, single core. It was pure junk, and overheated if I even thought about hooking up a trailer. Why the hell is a single core even available for this truck ?!?!?!?

Anyway, I bought a 3 core radiator and hoses through a local shop. Everything was about $300, and fit fine. Also, it wasn't any of that cheap Spectra stuff either.