1998 Expedition, no 4X4 after running for a while, only after start up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wag87

Reaction score
My 98 expedition with 84,500 miles is having a interesting 4X4 issue.

It was a super cheap truck, did most of the repairs myself, but there was just one thing i couldn't figure out. The other owner pulled the 4X4 motor out and put it in 2wd, i replaced it and nothing, took it to a shop, they replaced the GEM, 4X4 relay and the brake switch, it fixed it. About 4 months later, i would try putting it 4X4 and nothing on the dash or the A4wd light would flicker on off and that was it, nothing would happen. Sometimes it would go into 4X4 with no light on but would not go back into 2wd. I found when it dose this if i turn the truck off then on, everything after that works as it should 2wd, A4wd, 4X4, 4WL all works fine. I go down the road for a while and it will do it again, either nothing happens or the A4wd flickers on off, sometimes going into 4X4, but mostly staying in 2wd or being stock in 4X4 until i turn the truck off, then on again?

Any idea what this could be?

Thanks

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How old is the torque converter. That is the symptom that happen with mine until I replaced it after 20 years