1999 Ford Expedition Fuel Economy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AarBehr

Reaction score
Looking for advice on Fuel Economy with my 1999 Ford Expedition. She's an XLT with 5.4L and 4x4. The Car has about 175k, but the motor was replaced by ford about 25k ago.
I really LOVE it, but I'm getting about 8 miles to the gallon and that is getting pretty painful.
I've looked up tuners, aftermarket parts, etc. I put a Throttle body spacer, cold air intake hoping to boost power and/or help with fuel economy...No dice.
What have people on this forum had success with?
Thanks in advance!!
-AarBehr

Robert A

Reaction score
Let us know what works for you my 2000 XLT 5.4L with 178K miles on it runs great but it gets a solid 10.3 mpg it'd be nice to improve that.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don’t dump money into all those aftermarket parts. Sounds like it needs some basic maintenance. Could be anything from spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, seized brake caliper (or collapsed brake hose), plugged cat, tires under inflated, too cold of a thermostat……

It should be getting around 12-14 (assuming 4x4).

00XTL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don’t dump money into all those aftermarket parts. Sounds like it needs some basic maintenance. Could be anything from spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, seized brake caliper (or collapsed brake hose), plugged cat, tires under inflated, too cold of a thermostat……

It should be getting around 12-14 (assuming 4x4).
I agree with explore tom. you should be getting at the very least 13mpg with no aftermarket help.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
That’s not normal. Make sure your calculations are correct.

I’ve got 240,*** and am getting exactly what the sticker mileage said when new. 12/16 mpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oaisdghfopuasdbnv