1999 xlt 5.4L 4WD conversion to 2WD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RonPut

Reaction score
Maybe purchase the 4x4 selector switch out of a 97-98 Expeditions. Those can be switched to 2WD. Also works on later ones. Or remove the fuse.
That’s what I did on my ol 99 when the chain transfer case chain started slipping during acceleration.

Also MPG should be much higher. Driving my 98 5.4 4x4 EB I get between 15-18mpg

Reaction score
I drive a 1999 exp 4.6 4x4. The brown wire mod (brown wire goes from under the driver's seat to the electronic clutch in the transfer case.) I cut the wire under the seat you have to pull back the carpet and will see it going out the floor under the driver's seat to the transfer case. I cut the wire and ran an extended wire in series back next to the selector's 4x4 switch. There I mounted a toggle switch. I run the switch open until I want 4x4, when I close the switch I have auto 4x4 again or high or low 4x4. based on the selector switch location. The best mod I did. Good luck. Easy peasy.