1st Gen 1997 -2002 7.3 Godzilla engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Dobalena

Reaction score
Has anyone under taken the project of swapping in a 7.3 into a 1st Gen Expedition? Thinking about doing this swap to my 1999 XLT. I would want to add twin turbos. Upgrading the brakes, suspension, transmission, and (posi) 9 inch rear end with 3.73 are a must.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably be easier to buy a new F250 with the 7.3 in it already and drop your '99 in the bed and haul it to the salvage yard .... that's a win / win ....
Says the guy with the 2003 Expedition EB 2WD 225k Miles

Dimz

Reaction score
Not sure if the author of this thread is aware of the complexity of what he is suggesting. I doubt it. Firstly 7.3 comes in both gas and diesel, the size of the block is unlikely to fit in the bay of a 5.4l block. Secondly, if you were going to do something like this is really would be easier to start with a working 250 superduty and swap bodies with an Expedition. Doing it the other way is almost impossible unless you are one of the best mechanics and fabricators in your state. Thirdly, the suspension on the Expedition is not designed to handle the 7.4 or its tranny so that would not work. Also, the superduties I believe have 10.25" axles in the back and not 9" as stated. Expedition already comes with 9.75" if it is a 5.4. And as far as twin turbos I dont even want to go there lol. Lastly, going from 3.55 gears to 3.73 would be a waste of time and leaving the factory clutches in there instead of locker is stupid too. What an illogical and dreamy post Mr. Dobalena.