1st gen 4x4 problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaerock

Reaction score
New guy here. I bought a 2000 EB AWD Expedition. When I bought it the PO was driving it in 4lo but it ran up to speed no problem, at the time the 4lo light was on. I put it in AWD and disconnected the battery to do some work, and now when cycled through AWD - 4HI-4LO the light never comes back on. It lights up when I turn the truck on.

So my 4wd system isnt working, I checked the fuse and its fine. I read there is a relay under a oval panel on the dash but not sure what it looks like. Anyone know what the relay on a 2000 looks like and where it is?

Thanks

OP
OP
J

jaerock

Reaction score
I am not sure what it is called, being new to these trucks. But it is oval, on the passenger side of he dash. About 14 inches wide, almost at the windshield.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am probably wrong, it was a long time ago since I owned my 98 expedition, but I seem to recall the car had to be in Neutral (Not park) to select 4 low? Might be worth a try!!

Gary

Bruce Mitchell

Reaction score
I agree with Gary. That selector switch was making me mental (er) until I read the damn manual and put it in neutral to change modes. Works like a champ.

OP
OP
J

jaerock

Reaction score
I have tried it in neutral, still nothing. I do have an issue with the dash indicator pointing to the wrong gear.. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?