2 strange issues today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MBK2019

Reaction score
I'll start by saying I have a 2012 Expedition Limited EL with about 150k miles. I haven't had any issues with the vehicle until today. This morning I drove my kids to school and back with no issues, about a ten minute drive round trip. About an hour later me and my wife were going in to go to town, we had been on the road about 5 minutes when all the info on the dash display turned to all dashes and it told me the fuel level was low, but the manual gauge showed 3/4 tank. Also the RPM and speed gauge were stuck in one spot. I pulled over, turned off the engine and restarted it and it never done it again throughout the day.

The second issue arose this afternoon, we sat in line to pick up kids from school for about 45 mins, engine running. I drove thru the line and as I turned out onto the main road I hit the throttle, but it wouldn't go, engine would rev like it was in neutral but that's all. I again pulled over, killed the engine and restarted, put it in drive and it took off like nothing ever happened. I haven't noticed any transmission slippage or noises of any type before this or afterwards.

Not sure if anybody else has experienced this or may know what the issue may be but any help and advice is appreciated.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Problem with that diagnosis is he said it started right up! I would first have the charging system checked, and as usual a codes check through the diagnostic port. Never ceases to amaze me, how we get new problems each day.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

iimagine

2016 EL XLT
Reaction score
Definitely sounds like a alternator/battery/charging issue. Just had a similar thing happen to me. Come to find out cell #6 on my battery was completely dry, and the others were full. Never had that happen.

OP
OP
M

MBK2019

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Guess I'll start by having my battery and alternator checked. I really hope that's all it is..my wife is freaking out bc she thinks it's something more serious and she drives our kids around in it everyday, but to me I was thinking some type of electric or charging issue due to there not being any prior symptoms that would have led to these issues. It starts everyday just fine, doesn't drag like the battery is drained or anything.

OP
OP
M

MBK2019

Reaction score
Ok, so I did a quick self test as best I could. I have a Scangauge 2 that I hooked up to it, I know it's not the most advanced gauge but all I got and had time for this morning. Here's what i found on it. It didn't pull any DTCs. I monitored the voltage on it... @ KOEO is was at 13.1. During cranking it dropped to 10.1. While crunk it stayed consistent at 13.9-14. While driving and under load it bounced back and forth between 13.5-14.

JollyRoger

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just guessing but could be a bad ground? Maybe while you are checking everything, just check the battery terminals as well as any ground straps you can find under the hood. Just a thought.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just guessing but could be a bad ground? Maybe while you are checking everything, just check the battery terminals as well as any ground straps you can find under the hood. Just a thought.

I bought a new 2015 Expediton Limited 4x4.

The positive battery terminal connector (covered by a red plastic cover) REPEATEDLY formed a lot of corrosion on the connector and post terminal. I now remove and clean the connector every 6-12 months, and inspect it every 1-2 months.

Recently I proactively replaced the original battery with a new Motorcraft one (same specs) at 49,*** miles - before winter hit. I’m curious to see if the new battery will cause connector corrosion.

I have always had the vehicle serviced at a Ford dealer, and every time I got the works vehicle inspection, the tech marked the battery and cables as good. One day, after about 1 1/2 years, I checked the connectors after a Ford service visit and found massive corrosion.

Good advice to check the connectors and terminals. The OP may want to remove and clean them.