2-Year Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I've been complaining that aftermarket exhaust parts only last a few years. I've always used Walker because they seemed to be quality stuff, made in Pennsylvania.

Well here's Walker's own website saying that the c-r-a-p rots out after two years:
https://www.walkerexhaust.com/support/parts-matter/why-exhaust-systems-wear-out.html

Amazing how poor some products have become. Imagine rolling around under some junker all day to install pipes that rot out after two years?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a Walker muffler on my last 07 and it was ok for the year I had it on before the truck was totaled. Ford wanted $700 for the oem muffler, I kind of laughed and walked away. I’d never fork over a grand for a muffler, I’d replace it every year before I did that lol.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been complaining that aftermarket exhaust parts only last a few years. I've always used Walker because they seemed to be quality stuff, made in Pennsylvania.

Well here's Walker's own website saying that the c-r-a-p rots out after two years:
https://www.walkerexhaust.com/support/parts-matter/why-exhaust-systems-wear-out.html

Amazing how poor some products have become. Imagine rolling around under some junker all day to install pipes that rot out after two years?

It is sad that they accept this as normal!!
It all boils down to people wanting low cost parts. I will admit I am part of this problem too.

2-3 years for a new part is totally unacceptable!
They use cheap materials because high quality aluminized, aluminum, galvanized etc cost a lot more to make.

Ford makes some of IF not the best factory mufflers in existence. At least they did.
It seems all factory are pretty good though.
I don't know it you can buy the exact same quality from ford as went on your car???
It wold be a fortune but IF if were the same quality you would get a lot of life from it BUT you must remember usually when you have a new muffler or pipe installed there is welding involved and even if the muffler is a 15-20 year one like the factory ones are, the welds will rust out the pipe long before that.

You could buy a whole bolt on system or get used. I bet warm climate junkyards have pristine exhaust systems just sitting there.

I have run limos since 1989 models and all fords but one 1995 Cadillac 85 inch.
All but 1 or maybe two had original mufflers on them until we sold them off at some of them 15 years old.
The center stretch pipes don't make it long and they are on there 2nd or 3rd set of them and still have perfectly fine factory mufflers and the other factory front and rear parts last a long time too.
Limos eat pipes too. They idle all the time and never get the exhaust hot. When you see a limo take off it will shoot water out of the pipe or pipes.

Regular after market muffler usually suck badly and only good for a 3-4 years or so.
Is have used Maremont and Walker for the most part with Walker used to be better.
BUT the real good ones are the Magnaflow and Dnyomax and the like.
The super thick steel shell ones with thick inlets and outlets.
These things are like tank compared to a standard thin walled muffler.
Problem is they are "performance" usually and not as quiet but if you get the biggest one so it fits better in factory location anyway you might be good.

I have lifted 98 Durango on 38s and it has duals with dynomax and it is not loud at all with factory 5.2.

Borlas drone terribly.
We never found or really looked hard for a lincoln thick body style. We just put the muffler shop ones on that don't even look like factory.
I don't think any Lincoln aftermarket looks like a factory one. They are trapezoid shape and not oval.
Trucks are more round so aftermarket is probably closer to oem look.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Ford mufflers are usually $400 - $700. But they are real and get 15 years if they are available.

As long as the quality is still there it is one of the better options.

I would probably go junk yard and find a clean one if I needed one.
Those factory ones last at least 15-20 years.

I have a 98 TC with 235K on it and original mufflers.
Only thing been fixed is patch pieces from H pipe going back about 6-8 inches on each side.
It's where the welds were.

gulfman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the original exhaust system on my 2003 expedition with 72,325 miles. I must be lucky.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the original exhaust system on my 2003 expedition with 72,325 miles. I must be lucky.
No. Not at all. That's just how good the factory systems are. I have a 2000 Expedition with the factory system on it that has a small little exhaust leak in the pipe in front of the muffler but it's been that way for 4 years and never got any louder. Just a little puff puff. I have an 04 Trailblazer with the factory exhaust in excellent condition. These vehicles both have over 230,000 on them and have been in Ohio Winters all their life. I have a 2003 Navigator with a little over a hundred thousand that came from Louisville and its undercarriage looks like it's a six-month-old vehicle.
I have a 98 Town Car Touring sedan with 240,000 on it with the original exhaust with exception of 1 patch on each side right behind the H pipe. But the mufflers and the rest of the pipes look like new.
They use very high quality metal or aluminum or whatever it is on factory exhaust. You will never again ever have as good of quality exhaust system on a car as the one that came from the factory.
That rule goes for most people. Now, for high-performance cars and their applications you can buy fully stainless steel systems and stuff like that that will easily last 20 years.

the bus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a complete walker system on my gen 2 including the cats with new motorcraft o2 sensors. The passenger cat failed by breaking apart and ending up in muffler. So I had the cat replaced under warranty and ended up replacing the rest of the system too. Now I have a very very intermittent inefficient cat code on other bank. I been just clearing it:). If I had to replace cats again I may try eastern cats. But this is still less than a new motorcraft system which are very good. I wonder who makes them???

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have often "cleaned" cats with 2 large bottles of 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol at 1/8 tank or less and drive it hard for a few kick downs and 20-30 miles.

They make emissions pass cat cleaner stuff too but I haven't used it.

My P0420 would stay away for months after I ran the alcohol through it.

You could try some e85 mixed in but I don't know how it cleans compared to 91% iso.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01