'20 rattling waste gate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone else have a '20 and had the rattling waste gate?

Ive got 10,100 miles - sounds like a loose skid plate on start up (its not phasers).
Sounds like its coming from under the drivers side/door area.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine isn't a 20 but I've posted several times about it. mine has been in the shop several times already for this issue. Ford told the dealer that they couldn't do any service on the turbos, they had to do the phaser repair first. So after a week in the shop for that, still had the rattle, the second time around they attempted to replace the wastegate actuators, and that still didn't fix it. so now I'm waiting for an appointment to go hopefully get the turbos replaced. My noise is happening on both driver and passenger side. not only does it happen when you start the vehicle, but it can happen after 10 hours of driving. Pretty annoying.

But as an FYI, Ford actually distributed a dealer service bulletin to all of their dealers, stating that rattles like this are normal and that under normal circumstances they won't hurt anything, therefore they don't tend to fix them. many people have different experiences at their local dealers but my guess is it'll get harder and harder to get this thing fixed.

It still kills me that an $80k msrp vehicle sounds like a geo metro in a drive thru.

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 19 navigator got a new driver turbo around 12k miles b/c of the waste gate rattle, I now have 16k and it is now starting to rattle again.

100k truck and it sounds like a diesel vw jetta.

****** me.off

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
20 hear. I get noise on startup, almost since the beginning but it does go away. I will note it with Ford, and when they don't do anything recall they were made aware of it and did nothing if something bigger goes wrong. With the list of things growing, Toyota may get my $$$ after all.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So my '19 has had it basically since I bought the rig. It's been in the shop 5 times for it, and each time they try things but they've never replaced the turbo's. This week its been in the shop for 3 days and will be likely there over the weekend. This time I was able to completely reproduce the noise by holding the throttle down between 1500 and 2k RPM's. Both turbos will pretty constantly rattle if I keep the engine at that speed. So that's good. The bad news is Ford so far has been trying to say it's "normal" which luckily, I think the dealership is pushing back hard. Even the service writer called me and said his F150 has the same issue and he kept trying to fix/troubleshoot heat shields, but now knows it's totally different. So he's invested in figuring out what it is. My issue is, that if it's normal, every vehicle should essentially do it. The '20 expy I'm driving as a loaner doesn't have it. It's whisper quiet, even at cold start.

So we'll see. Super frustrating and ****** me off that a mfr will publish a doc saying something is "normal" just so they don't have to replace a ****** design.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So my '19 has had it basically since I bought the rig. It's been in the shop 5 times for it, and each time they try things but they've never replaced the turbo's. This week its been in the shop for 3 days and will be likely there over the weekend. This time I was able to completely reproduce the noise by holding the throttle down between 1500 and 2k RPM's. Both turbos will pretty constantly rattle if I keep the engine at that speed. So that's good. The bad news is Ford so far has been trying to say it's "normal" which luckily, I think the dealership is pushing back hard. Even the service writer called me and said his F150 has the same issue and he kept trying to fix/troubleshoot heat shields, but now knows it's totally different. So he's invested in figuring out what it is. My issue is, that if it's normal, every vehicle should essentially do it. The '20 expy I'm driving as a loaner doesn't have it. It's whisper quiet, even at cold start.

So we'll see. Super frustrating and ****** me off that a mfr will publish a doc saying something is "normal" just so they don't have to replace a ****** design.

I took my rig in for this, they replaced the driverside turbo. Been quiet ever since (that was Sept 10, 2020)

Last edited:

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup, went to visit them today to get some stuff out of the car. They have hit the Ford speed bump. Ford has been insisting it's normal, but the tech is explaining it's not. So today they wanted him to do the stethoscope thing which we have actually all done (i even bought my own) and he confirmed the noise. But right now he explained it's taking Ford around 24 hours to respond on techline for updates, which is absurd. It bugs me that these guys think people are fine without their vehicles.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup, went to visit them today to get some stuff out of the car. They have hit the Ford speed bump. Ford has been insisting it's normal, but the tech is explaining it's not. So today they wanted him to do the stethoscope thing which we have actually all done (i even bought my own) and he confirmed the noise. But right now he explained it's taking Ford around 24 hours to respond on techline for updates, which is absurd. It bugs me that these guys think people are fine without their vehicles.

At least you got a loaner! My Ford Service Dealership was all out of loaners during my 3 days of work.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
True, but kind of pissed me off, from the perspective of every other time they said I had to use Enterprise and the stuck me in crap like an ecosport. Try fitting a car seat in that Fiero sized car.

But also. One thing was good timing, just as I pulled in the front camera sprayer starting barfing windshield washer fluid all over the place, so the are working on that, but parts for it were 5 days out. Shit! And they are doing both panels on the dash since they are warping already, at 13k miles. Apparently there was a tsb for the passenger side but not the drivers. Those part were 4 days out. What a cluster. Glad this is all under warranty, but again, I already feel so good knowing I got an extended ford warranty.