20 year tune up questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the bus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep been down this road. I like to keep my old expedition running too in top condition. Yes the brakes are lacking. I had napa drilled and slotted rotors years after warping the originals twice within 30k. Skip ahead to 170k... got power stop drilles and slotted rotors and akebono higher performance pads. I think other pads may have more bite than these, but these are okay. I bought a new 4 runner and those brakes are outstanding!!

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had my 2003 5.4 Eddie since 2004 when it was 1 year used. I've tried a full set of slotted/dimpled rotors years ago. After about 20k miles, they would vibrate like a bad wheel bearing. I switched everything to the best pads and rotors I could get from Autozone and that set has been great for years.

As for the peeps saying "save the money for your next truck when this one dies", you do you. I love my truck, I know how it's been maintained and how reliable it's been. I just spent $2k at Ford to have them fix my AC. My parent's Lincoln service manager told them 8 years ago to tell me never sell it, or let him know when I want to sell it, because this year was built like a tank. He checks with them to make sure I still have it every time they go in. I have 168k miles on it and I plan to get to 250k, which aught to be another 8 years-ish.

I'd suggest putting your $2500 into AC (a requirement for me in FL), and a good set of name brand brakes. Maybe some new rubber lines and brake fluid flush will help with the spongy pedal feel. I'm considering this for mine for similar reasoning.

expyaddict

Reaction score
I had the front rotors done in Aug 2020 on my 2003 XLT 4x4 with 198K miles. I didn't ask for anything special. So I'm assuming I received plain/regular replacement front rotors. But this is the main reason I want to keep it!!! The vibration in the steering went from occasionally quite rough at highway speeds to smooth as silk. I was stunned it was so nice. I feel a slight tickle from the rear rotors (but only at 75+ mph only...ok 80+ sshhh don't tell anyone), my mechanic said I should just wait on the rear rotors until the pads wear out. (as long as the vibration doesn't get worse)

I have NEVER felt the braking, or braking distance was remotely unacceptable. If I stand on the brake pedal, it stops in a hurry. If it isn't soft or mushy and it certainly has never gone to the floor. So I'm wondering if OP has a different issue vs. just needing new rotors. Something hydraulic perhaps?

OP
OP
B

budlavek

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. I guess my description was a bit off - the pedal does NOT go to the floor it is just very spongy.
Does the truck stop ... ? - Yes ... Could it be MUCH better ... ? (I think so.)

So - I went with the PowerStop Z36 rotors and pads along with Monroe struts.
I could not find any stainless brake lines (Please help me find a place to purchase them if possible. I am specifically talking about the line from the caliper to the metal brake tube all four wheels.) I also found that the PowerStop calipers are equivalent to the OE - so since the current calipers are not leaking I will not change them at this time. I will flush the brake fluid along with changing the oils and filters (engine, tranny, transfer case, diff)

Anything else I should tackle at this time ? BTW ... the cooling system was just done recently with a new thermostat, new rubber tubes, and fresh coolant.

Thanks again
-A

p15k193336_1.jpg

Part no.: P15K193336 x 1
Powerstop Brake Disc and Pad Kit

p15k193536_1.jpg

Part no.: P15K193536 x 1
Powerstop Brake Disc and Pad Kit

ts181369_1.png

Part no.: TS181369 x 2
Monroe Shock Absorber and Strut Assemblyts181370_1.jpg

Part no.: TS181370 x 2
Monroe Shock Absorber and Strut Assembly

foreverme67

Reaction score
I I have a 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4 Eddie Bauer with 251,000 miles on the odometer and it is only just now having to have the cylinder head gasket replaced. Besides that and a few other things that I have already repaired or replaced, my truck has been an absolute Beast of a Champion in almost every single category driving any vehicle in every condition possible and it has surpassed Indian Hill all the expectations. So don't listen to that "train whatever dude"... trust your instincts. trust your truck.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had my 2003 5.4 Eddie since 2004 when it was 1 year used. I've tried a full set of slotted/dimpled rotors years ago. After about 20k miles, they would vibrate like a bad wheel bearing. I switched everything to the best pads and rotors I could get from Autozone and that set has been great for years.

As for the peeps saying "save the money for your next truck when this one dies", you do you. I love my truck, I know how it's been maintained and how reliable it's been. I just spent $2k at Ford to have them fix my AC. My parent's Lincoln service manager told them 8 years ago to tell me never sell it, or let him know when I want to sell it, because this year was built like a tank. He checks with them to make sure I still have it every time they go in. I have 168k miles on it and I plan to get to 250k, which aught to be another 8 years-ish.

I'd suggest putting your $2500 into AC (a requirement for me in FL), and a good set of name brand brakes. Maybe some new rubber lines and brake fluid flush will help with the spongy pedal feel. I'm considering this for mine for similar reasoning.

I have to agree. The way I look at it, the correct financial comparison to make is the amount you'd spend to keep your existing truck - replace/repair engine, AC, whatever, compared to what would it cost to find an equivalent truck.
the "equivalent" is the hard part. You know your vehicle's history, what's gone into it, and so on. That would be hard to find out about a used vehicle unless you're getting it from family or such.

Fuzzy

Reaction score
I just replaced the master cylinder on my 04. I would like to change my braided lines as well.

I think you are on the right track. If you can't buy new enough to get a warranty then remember "the devil you know is better than the one you don't"