2000 Exp Gear Axle Ratio?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenka-man

Reaction score
Buying a 2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer with a 5.4 Liter engine, 2 wheel drive. The tag on the door with the axle rating is missing and I need to know which gears are on this expedition. I know the gears available for this year were 3.31, 3.55, and 3.73...Is there an alternate way I can find out which gears are in THIS particular truck? Will the VIN tell me, or is there another "code" or "number" i can look for to get this info? Tks!

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Best thing to do is call a Ford dealership. I am pretty sure they can tell by the VIN. Otherwise look to see if there is the towing package. If it has a transmission cooler (looks like a mini-radiator that should be somewhere in front of the actual radiator) that should eliminate the 3.31 and I think 3.55 as well (not sure if 3.55 was an option with the tow pkg). Mine has the towing package from 97 and has the 3.73's limited slip. I cannot think of anywhere else that the axle rating would be, hopefully someone else will chime in if there is. If you do find out the code, here is a link for all Ford axle code conversions (3.73 Limited Slips are not included on the list, that code is H6, and is the one that I have...)

What rear end ratio is in my Ford , do I have positraction? - Drivetrain.com

Good luck!

Last edited:

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
check on the axle. there is usually tags on the bolts. it will tell you what you need to know.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Kenka, I will make this as easy as possible. Drive down the highway at 70 mph. If you are up at 2100 RPM, you have the 3.73 gears. If you are down at 1950 RPM, then you have the 3.55. If you are down around 1800 RPM, then you have the 3.31 gears. I can almost garantee that you don't have 3.31 gears as those were only really offered in 1997-1998. After that, Ford pretty much phased them out since there was no real gain in mileage with the gears and put a lot of stress on the tranny.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is an axle code section on the tag. Once you find that, locate it in the link posted above to determine the meaning of the code. The only one that is not on the list pertaining to our trucks is H6, which is for the 3.73 limited slip.

Last edited:

786jayone

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344203366.738810.jpg
I mistakenly thought my tags was missing also. Unroll I discovered it here between the driver and rear passenger door. I have the 2002 expy e/b with 3.55:1 code H9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

786jayone

Reaction score
That's until and not unroll. Annoying spell check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

typeed29

Reaction score
Best thing to do is call a Ford dealership. I am pretty sure they can tell by the VIN. Otherwise look to see if there is the towing package. If it has a transmission cooler (looks like a mini-radiator that should be somewhere in front of the actual radiator) that should eliminate the 3.31 and I think 3.55 as well (not sure if 3.55 was an option with the tow pkg). Mine has the towing package from 97 and has the 3.73's limited slip. I cannot think of anywhere else that the axle rating would be, hopefully someone else will chime in if there is. If you do find out the code, here is a link for all Ford axle code conversions (3.73 Limited Slips are not included on the list, that code is H6, and is the one that I have...)

What rear end ratio is in my Ford , do I have positraction? - Drivetrain.com

Good luck!
I have a 2000 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L with 9.75 with axle code 17 = 3.31 gears and I have min transmission cooler in the front also.