2000 expedition... engine issues..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Helene Richards

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a 2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer edition. 5.4 L. I have had no issues with the vehicle .. until I towed my significant others Tesla. After that it started idling rough, issues starting and after it runs for a while it smells like fuel and oil... there is also a greyish smoke coming out of the exhaust. I took it to my mechanic and he said it was a cylinder issue and I needed a new engine. Someone else had told me it may not be that but something “simpler”... that some people/mechanics don’t know with those cars... I can’t recall what it was (sorry). Does anyone have any ideas? Is it worth even checking into or should I just get a new engine? The vehicle is otherwise in great condition so I don’t want to just salvage it. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any check engine light flashing or on steady ? If the check engine light is on get the codes read and report back.

OP
OP
H

Helene Richards

Reaction score
I think the check engine light was blinking at some point. I was thinking blown head gasket.. that would mean a new engine right? Sorry.. limited mechanical knowledge .. I can’t find my code reader so I would have to ask my mechanic. He said I needed a new engine but then someone else told me something else.. and I can’t recall the details..

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Get a second opinion. No a blown head gasket repair is not an engine rebuild or replacement. It is an opportunity to update other parts given the invasive nature of the job but people do get them fixed.
Sounds like you need a good honest mechanic. Call the dealer and ask what the price for that repair would be. Ask breakdown of parts cost and labor hours. Then shop b

OP
OP
H

Helene Richards

Reaction score
I was going to have someone else look at it. I do trust my mechanic but he was trying to save me the money I think as I’ve had a lot of car issues. Anyway, I will have someone else look at it. Thanks.

Oldfoo

Reaction score
I see it's been awhile since you posted this but have you had a second opinion yet? And if so what was the results?