2000 Expedition sometimes just doesn't want to start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ganchan

Reaction score
I've this problem 3 times now over the past few months. 99 times out of a hundred the Expedition starts up normally -- but once in a great while, I'll turn the key and get no ignition, just lighting/dashboard electrics. I give it a few minutes, try again, nothing. This goes on for a few panicky moments. Finally one of my attempts rewards me with a perfectly normal startup.

Any thoughts as to possible causes? It seems like the starter just isn't being given its instructions to start every once in a while. But it can't be a total part failure, since most of the time it does what it's supposed to....

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
More than likely you've got a dead spot on your starter. It happens when your armature inside gets a single section that shorts out. It's like playing Russian Roulette with a six shot revolver. In your case your gun is your starter, and be glad it isn't pointed at your noggin! Short of replacing starter, theirs no other fix to my knowledge. To prove my theory, we used to disassemble starters, and do a continuity test of the whole armature. I get an occasional grinding on mine, 1 out of 20 starts due to what I believe is a worn flywheel ring gear. Damned if I'm going to pull a perfectly working tranny for an occasional grinding. I'd live with your problem, but you might want to buy a new or quality reman, and keep it handy. I bought a Ford reman from the dealer about 2 1/2 years back, so far so good.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

ganchan

Reaction score
It didn't really want to crank at all this morning, so I'm having it looked at. My records show that the previous owner replaced the starter in 2013. What's the normal lifespan range for one of these things?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depends. If you put in a cheaper starter, especially one that had problems prior to being rebuilt, it could crap out in less than a year. Cheap parts installed, improper assembly by rebuilder, or even something as simple as the installer of the starter messing up tightening it down. I'd check the cables and connections first, you might get lucky.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk