2000 Expedition won't pass California smog test

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My 2000 Expedition V8 repeatedly isn't passing the smog test in California due to Catalytic Converter and Evap "not ready".
Any suggestions to help get it to pass? I already put in two different bottles of cat cleaner.
Thanks for any suggestions!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you recently cleared OBDII codes ?

Catalytic Converter cycle: The catalytic converter monitor will not run until the oxygen sensor monitor has run and completed successfully with no faults found. The vehicle must then be driven in stop-and-go traffic conditions at five different cruise speeds ranging from 25 to 45 mph over a period of 10 minutes.

For the Evap cycle: With fuel tank one half to three-quarters full, cruise at 45 to 65 mph for 10 minutes. Avoid sharp turns and hills during this period.

Plati

Reaction score
My 2003 took a week and a couple hundred miles of driving in all sorts of conditions before it was "ready". Yours may never clear if you have CAT problems. I personally wouldn't expect "cat cleaner" to fix anything except lining the pocket of the company that sells it. YMMV. I think the Owners Manual has instructions for the required drive cycle. Its a PITA to keep checking the codes until its ready and you have to have the code reader that can do that.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
A not-ready indicator isn't a malfunction. A malfunction would show a code. Complete the proper number of drive cycles and a not ready indicator should cancel. It will then give a code or be okay.

New York inspections permit several systems to be not-ready. Doesn't California do the same? SOme systems will never be "ready" if the weather is too cold or if the car is not driven under certain conditions, thus the allowance for a system 'not ready".

Research your inspection laws, read your codes and see what you've got.