2000 Expy charging voltage problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bocco

Reaction score
So two weeks ago my battery light comes on and my add on digital volt meter reads 12.2V.
i was an hour away from home so I just turned every thing off and drove home. Double checked the voltage at the battery with a good meter and only read 12.1V so I assumed alternator and replaced it. Same problem. Then I disconnected the two connectors at the alternator and re seated them. I now have charging voltage. Life was good for two weeks and the light came on last night as I pulled into the driveway. I completely removed the alternator harness and tried to bend the contacts a little for better connection. Plugged it back in and it I had 14.4 charging volts. After replacing the intake hoses that I moved out of the way I started it and no charging voltage again. I gave up for the evening. This morning I started it and I had 14.2 volts. I went ahead and drove 12 miles to the gym and back and my digital gauge is showing between 14 and 15 volts.

I'm leaning towards a flaky connection some where in the alternator harness. It doesn't look like I can buy a harness but I can buy the three pin connector and the one pin connector and splice them in. I plane to do that soon.

I'm also wondering what the two wires from the three pin connector do? The connect to another harness and I can't tell where they go. Does anybody know their function?

Any thoughts or opinions on this? Is there anything else I should check? Check engine light is not on. Also is 15V to high?

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
B

bocco

Reaction score
Problem solved. For the benefit of anybody else with this problem. The 12V lead to the 3 pin connector is supposed to be hot all of the time even with the key off. It turns out that the 20amp fuse in the under hood junction box had a flaky connection and the 12V supply was intermittent. I just cleaned the leads on the fuse and bent them a little bit to ensure contact and the problem appears to be solved. I guess I'll know for sure in a few days.