2000 Ford Expedition Codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000fordchick

Reaction score
Having some trouble with my 2000 Ford Expedition again. Every year for the past seven years I have had the same code on, Po401. I have once again just yesterday replaced the EGR Valve and the EGR DPFE Sensor. I still get the same code. Not sure what to do at this point in need of some help Please.....not only am I getting that code but I am also getting the code, P0452 and the code 174...any ideas.

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check vacuum lines for leaks and see if you have a intake gasket leak. Next check the fuel system and make sure you're getting good fuel pressure.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
P0401 - EGR Flow Insufficient Detected

The EGR system is monitored during steady state driving conditions while the EGR is commanded on. The test fails when the signal from the DPF EGR sensor indicates that EGR flow is less than the desired minimum.

Vacuum supply
EGR valve stuck closed
EGR valve leaks vacuum
EGR flow path restricted
EGRVR circuit shorted to PWR
VREF open to D.P.F. EGR sensor
D.P.F. EGR sensor downstream hose off or plugged
EGRVR circuit open to PCM
VPWR open to EGRVR solenoid
D.P.F. EGR sensor hoses both off
D.P.F. EGR sensor hoses reversed
Damaged EGR orifice tube
Damaged EGRVR solenoid
Damaged PCM

P0452 - FTP Sensor Circuit Low Voltage Detected

The PCM monitors the EVAP control system FTP sensor input signal to the PCM. The test fails when the signal average drops below a minimum allowable calibrated parameter.

Contamination internal to FTP sensor connector
Damaged PCM
FTP circuit shorted to GND or SIG RTN
Damaged FTP sensor

P0174 - System to Lean (Bank 2)
The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors the fuel delivery hardware. The test fails when the adaptive fuel tables reach a rich calibrated limit.

See Possible Causes for DTC P0171.

For lean and rich DTCs:

Fuel system
Excessive fuel pressure.
Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors.
Leaking fuel pressure regulator.
Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel.
Vapor recovery system.
Induction system:
Air leaks after the MAF.
Vacuum Leaks.
PCV system.
Improperly seated engine oil dipstick.
EGR system:
Leaking gasket.
Stuck EGR valve.
Leaking diaphragm or EVR.
Base Engine:
Oil overfill.
Cam timing.
Cylinder compression.
Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2Ss.

WHAT ENGINE IS IN THE EXPY????

Being you replaced the DPFE Sensor Did you replace the hoses? Or did you reinstall the hoses or the correct ports?

OP
OP

2000fordchick

Reaction score
My engine is a 4.6L 2WD ...yes I replaced the hoses last year and I have checked them. They seem to be clean and clear. Yes installed correctly :)

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you ever cleaned the exhaust ports that go thru the throttle body.

The 4.6 is well noted for these ports clogging up. There are some good videos on youtube about cleaning the ports only requires two gaskets and some throttle body cleaner.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a 99 with the 4.6 and also a friend had the same when we did the ports thru the throttle body mine was totally clogged and his was almost the same There are two ports in the 4.6 throttle body where as the 5.4 has one larger port

OP
OP

2000fordchick

Reaction score
Well I know that I had cleaned out the ports about two or three years ago but knowing how much trouble I have had with the truck it probably is clogged up again.