2000 Ford Expedition tap on cold startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

josh33la

Reaction score
2000 Ford Expedition 5.4, 182K miles. Not a daily driver for me so I'm not used to any sounds coming from this vehicle. Wife says she doesn't hear anything differently. Anyways, we drove to my in laws(who live two houses down from us) and I noticed a faint ticking sound. When we got back home, I checked the oil and there was none on the dipstick. I started to freak out but let it sit for 30 minutes, came out and checked it and it was a little below the MIN mark so it was low on oil. I put half a quart let it run for a minute, checked it and level was fine. Tick went away and I checked the oil level two more times later on that day and all was good. Not scheduled for an oil change for 10 more days.

Started up this morning and noticed a light tapping sound that sounded like it was coming from underneath engine area. I went inside for a minute or two and the sound went away. Revved up the engine and didn't hear a peep. Took it for a quick spin and didn't hear anything. No CEL light and oil light fine. Other than that light tapping noise at cold startup, that engine still purrs like a kitten. I've went on YouTube to see if anyone has that same sound but they all sound like diesel trucks and a loud clatter which mine definitely does not.

Again, not a daily driver for me but maybe I'm just being a little too paranoid. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2000 Ford Expedition 5.4, 182K miles. Not a daily driver for me so I'm not used to any sounds coming from this vehicle. Wife says she doesn't hear anything differently. Anyways, we drove to my in laws(who live two houses down from us) and I noticed a faint ticking sound. When we got back home, I checked the oil and there was none on the dipstick. I started to freak out but let it sit for 30 minutes, came out and checked it and it was a little below the MIN mark so it was low on oil. I put half a quart let it run for a minute, checked it and level was fine. Tick went away and I checked the oil level two more times later on that day and all was good. Not scheduled for an oil change for 10 more days.

Started up this morning and noticed a light tapping sound that sounded like it was coming from underneath engine area. I went inside for a minute or two and the sound went away. Revved up the engine and didn't hear a peep. Took it for a quick spin and didn't hear anything. No CEL light and oil light fine. Other than that light tapping noise at cold startup, that engine still purrs like a kitten. I've went on YouTube to see if anyone has that same sound but they all sound like diesel trucks and a loud clatter which mine definitely does not.

Again, not a daily driver for me but maybe I'm just being a little too paranoid. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I had a slight ticking that ended up being the rocker arms. They're knowned to go bad, and are recommended to be replaced every 75k miles. When I replaces them, the ticking went away. The ticking always popped up during cold start, but went away after that.

dddd1

Reaction score
I agree with Junkyard Jack, usually at this mileage or before, one or more of the exhaust manifold studs loses tension from one cause or another, broken stud, pulled threads, corrosion and heat are not your friends here.
Yes this seems to be a Ford Truck problem that I see pretty often. The tick goes away as the manifold heats up, so many will let this go unless and until it gets much worse.
Seen this recently on 5.4's both 2V and 3V, mileage around 150k.

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same here. Had to replace one of my exhaust manifolds on my 97, slight tapping when cold.