2001 4R70W slips in first gear but not in manual first

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spowel4

Reaction score
Like the title says, I have a 2001 Expedition, 2WD, 4.6L engine, with a 4R70W. When in Drive, the tranny slips when starting out from a dead stop. However if I put it into manual first gear, no slippage. Any suggestions on what might be going on?

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah I had something similar. Clutch packs were going out (problem because of stupid previous owner). Ended up rebuilding it. I would check to see if you can find other solutions. maybe change your fluid, but be careful, sometimes that makes it worse.

Honestly it could be multiple things. Hard to tell with a quick description.

Last edited:

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mileage?
Last trans service to include filter change?
Any other recent maintenance performed?

on my E4OD, I have to disconnect the shifter linkage when dropping the transmission pan to service (Driver's side), and although it has a "line up" mark, it is especially important to get it just right, or I have experienced a similar problem. Any chance something is lodged?

Report back your findings.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How long does it take when you put the shifting into drive to engage drive? what about reverse?

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
on my E4OD, I have to disconnect the shifter linkage when dropping the transmission pan to service (Driver's side), and although it has a "line up" mark, it is especially important to get it just right, or I have experienced a similar problem. Any chance something is lodged?

Report back your findings.
I don't think that's an issue unless you are rebuilding it. 4R70Ws you don't have to disconnect the shift cable. When it clicks that's it shifting so 3 notches and you're in drive.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK