2001 5.4 2v low power...cats?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Tommie

Reaction score
You shouldn't see more than 3-4 psi in the coolant reservoir. If you see any soot or smell exhaust in the reservoir, or you're blowing any coolant out as overflow, then you still have a head gasket leak. It's very common on any of these motors over 200k+ miles on the clock. Really the heads aren't that big a deal, as long as you get the heater hoses off and out of the way. When I did mine I sent the heads out to get rebuilt anyway with new springs, seals, rocker arms...

Can you set up your fuel pressure gauge so you can see it through the windshield with the hood closed ? Go for a test drive and see what your fuel pressure is doing under load? 30 psi is on the low side of the specs. Something between 40-50 would be better. If you see the pressure dropping below 30 under load I'd definitely go for a new fuel pump. Bosch is a good brand if you don't want to splurge for a Motorcraft.

Thanks for the reply Hamfisted I'll see what I'm getting here in the next few days, I did a round of blue devil head gasket sealer so I'm going to see if that did anything for me, I'm sure the pump is tired and should be replaced regardless. I'll keep you posted.