2001 5.4l Triton Engine Knocking Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyQball79

Reaction score
I have a knocking noise coming from my motor which seems to go away after start up and then come back after a few minutes. I have 3 videos of it: I have checked the spark plugs. I'm really hoping its not a bent rod or any of that nature. I heard it pretty good underneath by the transmission and flex plate area I think. I can change and fix parts and such, Just not a heavy duty mechanic. The third video is from underneath back by transmission.

Plati

Reaction score
any chance that's an exhaust leak?

OP
OP
J

JonnyQball79

Reaction score
I've heard guys say that, but in the third video towards the end when i was back by the tranny and I heard kind of a twinge of metal when I was recording.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rod knock. Drop the oil pan and tap the rod caps with each piston at tdc with a rubber mallet. You'll find it.

Or you could use the "redneck stethoscope" which is a stick or broom handle cut to length. Place one end at your ear and the other at various points on the oil pan. When you get close you will hear the difference.

For sheets and giggles check the oil level also.

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not for the average Joe. Really depends on what has failed and if it has caused any other damage internally.
Easiest is engine replacement once the cause has been verified. We diehards on here would tear the engine apart and do a rebuild. Crate engines are the way to go if you are short on time.
If you decide to pull the oil pan, once the offender has been found you should also check the rod journal on the crankshaft for damage. If you are lucky you may only have to roll in a new set of bearings. Most of the time though the crank is shot.

How many miles are on the clock?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope. The easiest is to dump it once the rod knock has been verified. Anything else costs money.

OP
OP
J

JonnyQball79

Reaction score
I found a guy that was able to change the bearing from the rod he found loose on his 03 by dropping the oil pan.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One other thing to check - it is a long shot though. Check the serp belt tensioner to make sure it isn't all the way to the end of its travel from a stretched belt. They make a racket when they are at the stop.