2001 5.4l Triton Engine Knocking Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Passenger side rear over the starter. Where's the other one? Going to be a PIA repair all weird angles to get at those bolts. Get your drill bits starting from 1/16" - 1/8" , extractors and a right angle drill. Use new black oxide bits you'll need to cut them down get them to fit in tight spots. Remember the head is aluminum don't slip or drill through it. Take it slow and steady.

Micro Extractor set-(in case the stud spins in deeper during drilling) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000...
Standard Extractor set-
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001...

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Cut all the bolts off, with grinder or torch. Remove the manifold and unscrew the studs with vise grips. If they broke flush, with head, its nightmare/extraction time(Ford designed a special tool). Replace the manifold it may be warped. It cost me $550 to have it done. Its not a job, most shops are thrilled to do. The dealer claims, they do them all the time. Good luck.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now you know why I never did exaust work at home. It's a tough job due to heat and rust. They actually make jigs to drill out broken studs.Centers the drill bit perfect. Saw a tricked out machine shop in San Francisco years back that had every tricked out centering device I didn't even know existed. Problem is though, you gotta have a straight shot to do it. Best advice, spray down studs/bolts hours before, at least twice or more, and take your time. If you feel a stud not breaking loose, stop, and do a rocking back/forth to break loose.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are your options from simple (if you want to call it that) to an expense. You'll get at least two more. The bolts are in aluminum heads so once the start they will come out just take you time.

Good luck guy.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounded like a rod knock to me from overrevving or being low on oil. Spun rod bearing.

Would have been easier to tell if revved it up to 1500-1800 or so a few times. You can hear the rat a tat tat rattle when it decels.

You can find a spun rod by cancelling out cylinders.
You pull the coil wire off a COP one at a time while holding rpms where it knocks. It will go away mostly when you unhook the COP wires at the cyl that has spun bearing.
You can doctor them in the car.
Pull oil pan and take cap off and get some crocus cloth in long strips to pull around the crank like you are shining shoes. Have to go around evenly and try to keep it round.
I have even run dial calipers around it to try to keep check on it.
Have to get oversized bearing and sand the crank journal down so the clearance is .0015-.0035. Plastigage is about the only way to do it.
Not really that accurate this way and it won't be perfectly round but I have done several and as long as you don't have too high of high spots that make it too tight and spin the new oversized bearing shell, it will last a long time.

Did a 75 Buick Electra 225 with 455 in it, a 350 in 77 El Camino, a 2.2/2.5 in Little Dodge FWD spirit thingy.
The buick was a little lose and you could hear a little clicking down at oil pan but it ran for years and never had an issue with the repair.

They used to turn cranks in the car when this happened!!!
Really hard to find that equipment today, or anyone who knows how or who has ever used it.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A friend of mine did that in my brothers Chevy work truck. Not too many people would go through all the Emery clothing and measurements like you said, but if you got more time than money, it's an option. Takes a while to sand down a hardened crank journal, but it can be done. Never heard of a portable lathe, but sure is cool. Like the Snap on portable brake cutting lathe. Done right on the car.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk