2001 5.4l Triton Engine Knocking Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A friend of mine did that in my brothers Chevy work truck. Not too many people would go through all the Emery clothing and measurements like you said, but if you got more time than money, it's an option. Takes a while to sand down a hardened crank journal, but it can be done. Never heard of a portable lathe, but sure is cool. Like the Snap on portable brake cutting lathe. Done right on the car.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk
Oh yes it was common practice back in the fifties up to the 70s to turn one crank journal on the car. Just like the brake lathes and the wheel balancers.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Problem is in the case of oil discussions far too many people take it way too seriously. In the case of spun rod bearings it has nothing to do with synthetic or blend or Molly or Titanium or weight or even if it's been changed very often. It just needs to HAVE oil in there.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Funny, how everyone gets so bent out of shape about oil these days. Like Toby said, it's all about getting oil to the parts, all the time period! Motors are getting so complicated since around 2004. All brands trying to eek out more horsepower, or dodging emissions. In all the years I wrenched on motors, I don't remember any failed oil pumps, and internals weren't exotic like these days. It's just progress, but unfortunately the parts and in some cases assembly, cause so much problems. Maybe Ford's onto something with going back to the more basic 7.3 motor. We'll time will tell. Let's hope they don't release a bomb, that will take 5 years to get right.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
did you do a few grades? #s?
You can find a spun rod by cancelling out cylinders.
You pull the coil wire off a COP one at a time while holding rpms where it knocks. It will go away mostly when you unhook the COP wires at the cyl that has spun bearing.
You can doctor them in the car.
Pull oil pan and take cap off and get some crocus cloth in long strips to pull around the crank like you are shining shoes. Have to go around evenly and try to keep it round.
I have even run dial calipers around it to try to keep check on it.
Have to get oversized bearing and sand the crank journal down so the clearance is .0015-.0035. Plastigage is about the only way to do it.
Not really that accurate this way and it won't be perfectly round but I have done several and as long as you don't have too high of high spots that make it too tight and spin the new oversized bearing shell, it will last a long time.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
did you do a few grades? #s?
You mean of grit of sandpaper? I did. Might have used some crocus cloth to which is fairly abrasive. I might have used 100 or 150 to start and then once it became smoother polished it up with 400 and then did a final polishing with 600 and wet sanding it.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I listened to your sound, on your video. Its sounds like the fan rubbing on the shroud.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360