2001 Expedition 5.4 Head Gaskets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordExpFan

Reaction score
Hello All

I am Brand new to this Fourm. I've got the expedition XLT 2 wheel drive. I love this thing I'm the 1ST owner. The engine 5.4L 2 valve has 256K. It's in great Shape but needs Head gaskets.
Please help me decide what to do With this many miles on it.

1. Should I leave Engine in the SUV Tear it down And replace the head gaskets?
2. Remove the engine from the SUV And then Replace the head gaskets?
3. Find a used 5.4L Engine with Low Miles on it and Change it out?
4. Spend $3K On a Rebuilt engine?

I will do this work myself. But I'm not sure I wanna spend 3K Car this old.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I had the same choice to make with mine. The answer depends on your financial situation. Aside from that, it would depend on the general condition of the truck. I had New York rust, so the decision was simple. I got a newer truck.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have another vehicle to drive I'd do the work myself, and have the heads rebuilt while they were off too. Good time for new timing chains, guides and oil pump too, since the chains have to come off anyway. After you clear all the hoses and wiring harnesses out of the way it's not too bad a job. Then you'll have a good vehicle running like new again and good for many years. Even if you sell it, the new owner can have confidence in the vehicle.

The Fel-Pro 9790 head gasket set comes with every gasket you'll need. Fel-Pro HS9790-PT15 Head Gasket Set at Rock Auto

Get a power steering pump pulley puller to remove the power steering pulley. The Lisle 39000 is the best, but the cheap ones from Harbor Freight will work too.

Melling Timing Set at Rock Auto

Last edited:

Samuel Jewell

Reaction score
I faced this decision in March, seeing as I was paying labor(nowhere to tackle large jobs) and the difference in labor was extremely minimal, I chose to replace my 294K motor with a 115K motor and new PS Pump, water pump, hoses, starter, radiator, and all new gaskets on the motor. Add new control arms/ball joints and I paid the mechanic more than 2X what I paid for the vehicle! I put a new trans in last year, overall my truck is pretty nice. I just count it as making payments. Honestly I've got around 10K in a 23yo 4X4 full size SUV with new tires, low mileage running gear and nice interior. I couldn't buy anything nearly as nice and solid for 10K in my area.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Honestly I've got around 10K in a 23yo 4X4 full size SUV with new tires, low mileage running gear and nice interior.
Great plan if the thing is sound and you can get the job done properly. When you look at prices for newer 150,000 mile trucks, you've got some bargain and I believe the first generation trucks are the best!

Seems like the "new normal" inflation prices are giving new credibility to fixing stuff that would normally been put to pasture.

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whatever you decide to do, have spark plug thread inserts put into your heads while they are already out! The threads on our heads are very few and plugs have blown out as a result.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
have spark plug thread inserts put into your heads
Not needed unless the plug has been blown out.
The only cause for this is plugs that are not properly tightened. They do not just blow out on their own.

Only way to be sure this is done correctly is to install plugs yourself. Mechanics usually don't tighten cylinder 3 and 4 (back two on passenger side) correctly because of heater hoses and 4 is under firewall.

Look up ford tech makuloco on youtube for correct procedure.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, replace the sparkplugs while the heads are off and torque 'em to spec. That also prevents anything else from falling through an open sparkplug hole while you're re-installing the heads. Replace the exhaust manifold studs as well while the heads are off. Re-install the heads with the exhaust manifolds in place and torqued to spec.

BOB4254

Reaction score
Not needed unless the plug has been blown out.
The only cause for this is plugs that are not properly tightened. They do not just blow out on their own.

Only way to be sure this is done correctly is to install plugs yourself. Mechanics usually don't tighten cylinder 3 and 4 (back two on passenger side) correctly because of heater hoses and 4 is under firewall.

Look up ford tech makuloco on youtube for correct procedure.
YES..... Ford 5.4L spark plug torque too lite..... my '98 has 125k, never had a plug blow out. Just replaced my plugs, COP's, cleaned and test fuel injectors.....runs like new..... torque the plugs to 20- 25 ft lbs. and you will never have a blow out..... also use anti seizure grease on the plugs....

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My mistake. I thought that plugs would blow out even if you torqued them down correctly. That's great to know!