2001 expedition was in wreck now wont start consistently

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nessajean

Reaction score
My husband hit a vehicle in our 2001 ford expedition. Front end damage but nothing that seems too serious. The vehicle now wont start consistently. Sometimes it will sometimes it wont. Im not sure if there is anything I can try before I spend the money that dont have to tow it to the shop. I have kids and funds are tight... Any insight would be so greatly appreciated.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
anything I can try
What kind of no start, Crank but no start, clicking or nothing when you turn key?
Have battery tested. Not just check the voltage but load tested. Auto Zone or other auto parts stores do it for free. (They can also check altenator and starter)
After your sure battery is good do a VOLTAGE DROP TEST.
Come back with results and anything else you have found out.

Welcome to the forum

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In many cases, not all, your Expedition will set a trouble code when a problem exists. Trouble codes are read by a code reader which will define the problem, and usually provide a solution. Since you
probably don't have a code reader, you can go to most auto stores (call ahead to confirm) and they
will read the code, and offer a solution for free.

OP
OP
N

Nessajean

Reaction score
What kind of no start, Crank but no start, clicking or nothing when you turn key?
It makes no noise at all when turning key. Ill have my husband take the battery in this week. Then I might have to have it towed fot amything else to be checked

00XTL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
first i would check the fuel inertia switch. I dont think it will help in this situatin but its worth a try. Its located just under the dash on the passenger side on the right. theres even a little picture with an arrow pointing to it. the top should be a red rubble cap/button. just press it down and see if it helps.

Second, if you have power in the the car it might just be a bad starter. try hitting it with a hammer. could just be a coincidence that it went out after the accident.