2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4 with multiple issues. Need Help plz!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

13Shadows

Reaction score
I apologize in advance for the long post. But I wanted to make sure I listed everything.

November 30th the battery light illuminated on the dash. So on Dec 1st my husband took it to Napa to test the alternator. They told him the alternator was fine but that we needed a new battery. So he bought a new battery from Napa. Still had a problem. So I took the expy to Oreillys and had them test the alternator and they said we definitely needed a new alternator. So I purchased a new alternator. After the new alternator was put it though, the expy still wasn't acting quite right still. The battery light was out but now the check engine light came on around Dec 5th. Ran a scan on her and it came back with the code P0136. On Dec 15th I bought some maf sensor cleaner as well as some throttle body cleaner and a new air filter. Cleaned and changed the air filter. Then on Dec 16th we changed the oil filter and oil. Still ran rough. Still had the P0136. It started with the longer crank before starting....so I figured we needed to change the fuel filter pretty soon to see if that would help. The on Dec 24th we were at a light getting ready to turn right, as I took my foot off the brake pedal and placed it lightly on the gas pedal it kinda lunged forward and died. Would crank but would not start up. So we pushed it to the store across the street. I assumed since it was seeming like it wasn't getting gas that the fuel pump had gone out. Well a couple hours after leaving it at the store we were able to pull the expy home 5 blks away. When we got it home my husband decided to try to start it again and it did start. Stayed running for approximately 1 min then died. Tried to start it again but the battery was dead. Just got the click click when trying to start it. So we charged the battery. After the battery was charged we tried to start it again but it would crank but no start. Then my husband said all the gauges went haywire and at the same time I noticed that the interior lights were blinking on and off like 3 times before just shutting off completely. That's when we noticed the anti theft light flashing rapidly. And the odometer was only showing dashes. That was while the key was still in the ignition. Just now as I was sitting in the expy with the door open but no key in the ignition the interior lights started blinking then went out. So I closed the door then the lights came back on. Then I hit the lock button, lights stayed on a min then went out. So I unlocked the door and opened it again and the lights came on and stayed on for a few minutes. Then after it blinked 6, then on the 7th blink they went out all together.. So idk what to do? We only have 1 key to the expy. The key still unlocks the door. The fob still works. But the anti theft won't let it start. Do I need to call a locksmith?

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Find the fuse for the rear wipers and disconnect them. Pull the wiper relay as well. The wiper motors are notorious in failing to park and then the BCM in the vehicle never goes to sleep powering the wiper and interior light relays. The fuse and relay are in the fuse box under the hood.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
By now you've learned that using chain auto parts stores for any kind of diagnostics is a huge mistake. Looks like you were sold two batteries and an alternator when probably you have a power drain causing low voltage as JamaicaJoe and your fault codes suggest. Find a good diagnostics guy and never go back to those stores for advice.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
By now you've learned that using chain auto parts stores for any kind of diagnostics is a huge mistake. Looks like you were sold two batteries and an alternator when probably you have a power drain causing low voltage as JamaicaJoe and your fault codes suggest. Find a good diagnostics guy and never go back to those stores for advice.
Yikes: I took mine to Advanced Auto once for an alternator test and the technician revved my engine up to like a zillion RPM for some dumb reason. He did apologize. So far the floating valves have survived and no metal in the oil test. Anyway, I had a perplexing dead battery problem, engine dying, no cranking voltage, etc. until I found the BCM was not sleeping and it was because of the rear wiper motor was jammed up, not parked. I don't even think you can find a new motor.

OP
OP

13Shadows

Reaction score
Sorry it's taken so long to respond. Well after scouring the web for information, I'm still stumped. I did the hex dealer test and the only dtc it is showing is d262. The obd scanner isn't getting any feedback from the pcm. The theft light is still blinking rapidly. Dashes are still all the display on odometer.
Few days ago a friend of a friend looked at it. Not sure what he did, but he got it to start. But it was running extremely rough, had smoke coming out the exhaust. Probably had it running for a total of 30 min or so then it got dark. While it was running still only had dashes on odometer. Obd scanner still wasn't receiving any data from the pcm. Well I didn't try to start it anymore until just now. Started up with no hesitation. But still running extremely rough and smoking. It has never ran that rough nor has it ever smoked before. Any suggestions or solutions? Any adive is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

chubbzilla

Reaction score
if you ever fixed it id like to no what fixed it im having the same kinda issue but my lights work crank no start with theft light flashing