2002 expedition rust. Need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tremec187

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, first time poster. So I just scored a gold 2002 ford expo xlt with 158k miles for $1800. My issue is there is surface rust underneath the vehicle and I’m not sure how bad it is or how to appropriately deal with (steps wise...) I’m curious as well how much a shop would charge to remove it and under coat it or how much I could save by doing it myself.
Thanks all

816F20C3-99B7-4E94-8A6C-56C4B9DD22B6.jpeg

45E63588-4B00-4819-9B0F-8A620EB4BBB4.jpeg

E7DDC295-F76D-4235-BD69-21307777CEA8.jpeg

BF56368C-B9CB-4EBC-8595-005B0C1242BD.jpeg

D39E52CA-DACC-494A-B193-C8021AB5A8A2.jpeg

OP
OP
T

Tremec187

Reaction score
In all reality is this even that bad. There are no rust holes or patches falling off. By the looks of it does this seem just like a weekend job. More pics to come later today.

Plati

Reaction score
Looks good compared to mine. Of course an old iron ship thats been on the beach for 100 years looks good compared to mine! Just use Fluid Film and spray it up?
IMG_1831.JPG

Plati

Reaction score
Sweet Jesus. I should shut up. Do you have rust anywhere else? That needs new metal.
I'm going to rebuild it with wood. Woody!!

If I dont do something soon, I'll have salt spray hitting me in the legs in winter. DOH

DrkBlue

Reaction score
To the OP, I am far from an expert... 18 month Expedition owner.

Lots of great threads on this site that I consulted when treating my very similar level of rust on a 2004 Arizona Expedition.

what did I do? Naval Jelly Rust Convertor on visible rust, washed off/dried, specific rust treatment primer spray and then over coating with standard Black Rustoleum.

I refreshed it again after the Midwest winter, with the same process but much less work.
I did add some limited undercoating on the frame rails behind the front tires. It appears that the tires throw enough grit and debris up to strip away the Rustoleum layers and cause surface rust. Maybe the light undercoating will be enough... Maybe not.

Moderate grinding would probably be smart, but I went the chemical path.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks good compared to mine. Of course an old iron ship thats been on the beach for 100 years looks good compared to mine! Just use Fluid Film and spray it up
View attachment 37222
Concur on the Fluid Film ! You can DIY it for under $200. Good stuff, but it only last 1-2 years. Much better than most undercoatings which are asphalt based and trap moisture and INCREASE rust !

Wal92tt

Reaction score
I laughed when I read this. What you have is the equivalent of surface rust on brake rotors after sitting for a couple days here in humid Florida. If you're showing us the worst of it, then you have nothing to worry about! Rust to be worried about is flaking off, pitted, and has holes. You my friend are a perfectionist...Save your $$$ for maintenance and when issues start popping up.

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I laughed when I read this. What you have is the equivalent of surface rust on brake rotors after sitting for a couple days here in humid Florida. If you're showing us the worst of it, then you have nothing to worry about! Rust to be worried about is flaking off, pitted, and has holes. You my friend are a perfectionist...Save your $$$ for maintenance and when issues start popping up.

I totally agree. Your rust is nothing to worry about. If you saw my 2000 Expedition you would have a heart attack. Mine is rusted so bad it's going to go to car heaven soon.

fothco

Reaction score
I spray with IRON -X - Pro - let sit for a few min . Then wipe off rust . Rust dissolves and drips a purple liquid onto paper placed underneath . Then light rub with fine steel wool . Then spray with Black rustoleum paint and : BOB'S-YUR-UNKLE .. fothco .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes