2003 5.4 cranks but won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please provide more information on what you have tested after you replaced the fuse box.
Is the engine cranking over?

Since this is a old thread and was about a 2003 expy
Can I assume yours is also a 2003 since you gave no information about your year, model or engine

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So my 2003 Expy just stopped running on the Interstate... dangerous situation like the GM recalls. So I had it towed to dealer. Dealer replaced fuel pump and filter for $1,400. Six days later it died again... crank and no start. So thank you to this forum for pointing out the relay. I took apart the fuse box and found the burnt relay and traces. Bought the whole fuse box and installed... not too hard and it started just fine. I am including pictures that show the burnt relay and also the new fusebox I purchased.

can you point out the bad relay? I can't see any damage from what you posted.

Eclipsepro

Reaction score
Same problem here

Just wanted to say thanks for this forum because i was going in circles before reading this. I took out my power distribution box and removed and reinstalled a new relay. If anyone wants me to do this to theirs let me know eclipsepro2000@yahoo

dvandoormaal

Reaction score
Worked for me!!

Let me say, thank you so much for all the contributions to this thread!!

I had the EXACT same problem as described by all of you. I bought a 2003 Eddie Bauer with 305k km on it, which I was nervous about for sure, but its in amazing shape and runs like new and the edmonds reviews speak for themselves.

Day after I bought it, boom, no start. Would crank over and over but not start. Didn't hear any sounds from the fuel pump so naturally I thought it bit the dust and I would have a $1000 bill the day after buying the truck.

I logged on here and found this thread and I thought, wow that's spot on.

I got under the dash, disconnected all of the connectors on the fuse box, along with the tough-to-reach ground cable on the left side of the box (held on with a 10mm nut and behind a clip on cover).

After struggling a bit with all the connectors I got the box out, then I found this video and followed the steps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjnlWO4ciFg

At the end of the video he points to the middle relay of the 5 that are soldered to the circuit board. "If there is a little burnt hole, then thats your problem", and there it was, the white burn marks and hole melted in the relay.

I looked up the new fuse boards and they were a little pricy ($250-$350) so I checked with my local wrecker. They had an '04 XLT so I ripped up there and there it was! Pulled it off the truck with my own tools, paid $50 and that was it!

Got home, used the manual to audit all the fuses to make sure they were correct, swapped out a few that were not correct, and loaded the box back in the truck.

BOOM, started like a champ! Problem solved! Even got back the use of my parking sensors that were not working with the old fuse box!.

If your having this problem, FOLLOW THESE STEPS, its probably your issue! $1000+ problem at a dealer fixed for $50 :favorites37:

Attachments

• 20151105_103018_resized.jpg
    20151105_103018_resized.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 20151105_104510_resized.jpg
    20151105_104510_resized.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 110

Darbin

Reaction score
Check out this link :

2003 Expedition no fuel pressure

http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=82501

By the looks of the above thread they had the same problem, and the R203 is only part of the problem. There is another relay R303 which is actually soldered on the back of the relay center circuit board which also controls the fuel pump ( listed in book as dealer serviceable only ). That relay going bad could have caused the R203 ( one you have been replacing ) to overheat and keep burning.

Again check it out it sounds exactly the same as your problem.

Hope this helps.
I have a 2003 Expedition with the "permanent" relay burnt out just like fixitmyself.
To quote Steve from Blues Clues, "I have an idea"
Could a fella not solder 4/5 wires to the PC board and use a stand alone relay?

Attachments

• 20220514_173944.jpg
    20220514_173944.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220514_172205.jpg
    20220514_172205.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
New or rebuilt fuseboxes are still available as Darbin posted. If you're into the handyman fixes you can solder a standard 12v relay to the circuit board with a short harness that places the fuel pump relay just outside the fusebox.

iMbsrf.jpg

gOLpZX.jpg

n0HmAI.jpg

P.S. The more recently manufactured replacement fuseboxes use a heavier duty Panasonic micro relay and seem to provide reliable service life.