2003 5.4 Expedition front A/C (no condensate)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jersey Jim

Reaction score
Am new to the forum, this is my 1st post. 2 years ago I bought this Expy from a friend at work, strictly for towing my boat. Been very happy with it except a few nuisances. One I finally got around to addressing is the A/C blowing cold air intermittently. Usually works only when the engine first starts and is cold. Usually stops working 10 minutes into a trip, but once in a while I get lucky and can make the hour trip to my boat slip.
Well I finally got fed up and dug into it. The seller tells me his mechanic claims it is a blend door, because once the air stops blowing cold, it comes out of the vents 10 degrees warmer than the ambient outside. I did not agree with this, as the blend door seems to be disabled on "max A/C", Understandably. He also said he put in a new compressor and clutch-coil. What year I do not know. I purchased it in August of 2016.

So this week I dug in and focused on the A/C clutch, and sure enough, it stops cycling when the problem occurs. I ruled out (jumped out) the high pressure switch and low pressure switch. Still no cycling when this problem decides to occur. The only other (3rd thing) that seems to cycle/inhibit the clutch, is the evaporator air-inlet temperature. This didn't seem to be documented on the diagrams (4 pages from dealer), but I observed 100% duty-cycle of the clutch when cabin (evaporator air return) is 61F and warmer. Below 61F inside and I observed the clutch beginning to cycle off a few percent. Down as cold as 58F in the cabin, on floor out of direct airflow, the clutch repeatably cycles 6 seconds off, about 70% "on" is about as much as the cycling will allow at this cold temperature. The closer to 61F, the "off-time" remains 6 seconds, but the "on-time" extends to as long as about 3 minutes. Above 61F inside, and the compressor stays on 100%, at idle, inside my barn at 75F ambient. This seems to be some PID algorithm, with a proportional band beginning below 61F.

Long story short (too late), the problem was the clutch-coil resistance changing from the normal 3-5 ohms when it works, to 6,000 ohms and as high as 100,000 ohms when it acted up. I located the small auxiliary relay box near the driver side headlight, under intake ducts, and removed the clutch relay. I could feel it clicking as I plugged it in, indicating it was being commanded to activate clutch. I figured the arcing just ate up the silver on the contacts... no such luck. I removed relay and looked for 4 ohms on relay socket pin to ground. 6k ohms and higher, depending on temperature of engine. This relay has 12 VDC positive at relay at all times, even without key. I removed relay cap and plugged it back in. After engine cooled down I squeezed the relay armature with fingers, and heard the clutch clicking as I should. I dropped the skid-plate underneath, as the compressor is mounted very low. I pulled coil connector apart (2-inches from clutch), and found oxidized connector pins. After scraping and spraying pins clean, I packed both connectors with dielectric grease, then re-connected them. I figure being this connector is about the lowest part of the engine, it was picking up water, snow, salt, etc. I even packed the wire entry points with the grease. It has been working flawlessly for MANY hours over past few days!!

It makes me wonder how many clutch coils get changed without ruling out this vulnerable link? Between a replaced coil having new connector pins, and the mere scraping of the female harness side of the connector by removing old and replacing new, these 2 "scrapings" of the female pins is most often enough to get it working for a year or two before the oxidation grows/returns. I think this explains why my friend had the compressor and clutch replaced but it started failing again. Please check and clean this connection before throwing in the towel (money) on replacement.

Now on to my question.... the rear evaporator seems to be dripping condensate nicely from the rear area onto the ground, but I never see a single drop on the ground from the front evaporator. Can anyone tell me where a tube should be exiting, so that I may rod it out to unplug/clean it??

Thanks in advance.
PS... And at what PSI does the low-pressure freon cycling switch interrupt at, as well as high-pressure cut-out switch? (R134A)

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Theirs a tube on the passenger side firewall that needs to be cleaned out, leaves, dirt, and such plug it up. Use a bent coat hanger or equivalent to root around in there to clear. If that doesn't work, an air tip, and compressed air will work. Theirs videos online that can help. Your Suv was probably parked under trees, or in a dirty spot. That's usually the case. Welcome to the Forum!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Jersey Jim

Reaction score
Thanks Moose..... haven't taken time to locate drain yet, but have a more pressing A/C question about pressures and overcharging. I guess I should start a new thread with the different question.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jim, depending on outside temp, your readings will be higher. Charts for r134 are online, but an example for 70 degrees Fahrenheit are low side pressure 35-45, high side 145-160. Again outside temperature raises both, but the high side especially by about 10-15 pounds for every 5 degree jump in outside temp. I'd bring a room temp gauge when your servicing your A/C. if you overfill your A/C it will look like Christmas under your hood. It purges out! Happened to me when I overfilled my Datsun 280 ZX. Shops have a machine that dispenses just what they need, but at home, we got to fake it!

Eileen

Reaction score
I"m looking for the drain as well. I see it pointed to in the Haynes manual, but it states the transmission was removed for clarity of the photo, but can be felt by hand behind the engine??? I've felt, and I don't feel. I laid up under the truck for 20 minutes and can't see it. I'm not taking the wheel off for this. I can't find a video online showing the location either. :(

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What drain are you speaking of?

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I"m looking for the drain as well. I see it pointed to in the Haynes manual, but it states the transmission was removed for clarity of the photo, but can be felt by hand behind the engine??? I've felt, and I don't feel. I laid up under the truck for 20 minutes and can't see it. I'm not taking the wheel off for this. I can't find a video online showing the location either. :(
Go here, do this.. Ford should have installed an elbow from the factory so the condensate drain line would drip instead of flow along the firewall..
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/fordguy4u/2009-09-18_150727_A1.pdf
https://www.f150online.com/forums/articles-how-s/419190-04-05-ac-drain-vent-instalation.html
https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/ford-ac-drain-elbow-installation.18613/

But if you want to locate the drain, from under the truck position your line of sight just under the transmission overflow drain tube that points straight down. The trans drain tube should be easily located. Look up and at the firewall and you'll see a rubber/plastic tube protruding from the firewall, or at least you should see the useless shield that covers the drain spout.

It's possible the condensate drain line is clogged, but for my truck the condensate drain line was open, but the water was flowing mostly down the firewall between shielding/insulation that insulates the cab from the road instead of dripping to the ground. A little would leak back around the seal of the condensate drain line into the cab. Applying the 90 degree elbow as described in the forum posts and Ford TSB gets the condensation to drain to the ground like it should.