2003 5.4L recent purchase is overheating after sparkplug change.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Lee_H

Lee_H

Reaction score
An Update. After replacing the radiator but left the thermostat blank in I took the truck on stop and start traffic with no temperature issue. Then tried the Parkway Highway and had the temperature shoot up. I got off the next exit and pulled into a gas station where the coolant blew out and steam from the hood. After ten minutes I started the engine for a few minutes to move what was left of the coolant. The temperature dropped so I drove home, the ECT reading stayed around 170 deg. This week I replaced the thermostat with a 180 deg. and drove around start and stop traffic with the ECT read 180 to 195 while driving. I went back on the Parkway Highway and this time the temperature ECT reading about 190 deg. I did not drive around as much before trying the highway but the temperature did climb faster to operating temp. and stuck between 180 and 190 with 195 deg. being the highest temp. I saw. I hope the temperature issue is solved, now I have an issue (engine code P0401) that the EGR is lacking. Right now this is not stopping me from driving as long as the engine behaves. The other thing noticed is the transmission is in 4th gear (OverDrive) and the gas is pressed lightly it is a buzzing in the transmission and a lack of power the lasted one to two seconds before it regained power again. I'm assuming it either unlocked the O.D. torque converter lock and stayed in gear or tried to drop to third gear and did not complete the change.

TomB985

Reaction score
Glad to hear you made progress on the cooling issue, hopefully doesn't give you any more trouble.
The other thing noticed is the transmission is in 4th gear (OverDrive) and the gas is pressed lightly it is a buzzing in the transmission and a lack of power the lasted one to two seconds before it regained power again. I'm assuming it either unlocked the O.D. torque converter lock and stayed in gear or tried to drop to third gear and did not complete the change.

What does the tachometer do when this happens?

OP
OP
Lee_H

Lee_H

Reaction score
Glad to hear you made progress on the cooling issue, hopefully doesn't give you any more trouble.

What does the tachometer do when this happens?

It happens too fast like running over a pothole. I'm planning to change the screen and add Mercon V since the drip stick list it. Is motorcraft a must or would Valvoline be OK?

TomB985

Reaction score
It happens too fast like running over a pothole. I'm planning to change the screen and add Mercon V since the drip stick list it. Is motorcraft a must or would Valvoline be OK?

Valvoline is just fine. Anything carrying the Mercon V certification will work.

USAF Sarge

Reaction score
Glad you go the overheating issue dealt with. Had a Jeep that did the same thing, was afraid I was going to destroy the engine. After new water pump, thermostat, etc, etc, our problem turned out to be air in the system. Once it was bled out, the problem went away.

Never knew air in the coolant system could do that, in fact there was a bleeder valve just for this. It had the 4.7 V-8 in it.

Just one of those things you tuck away in your toolbox of knowledge you carry with you.