2003 EB Expedition help with overhead DVD player

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kryo-Genik

Reaction score
Ok I've got power to the unit and it tests fine and will play a dvd without issue. However I have NO sound to my headphone Jack's on the back of my center console. And I need to know what wires I need to jump/splice/connect to make the plugs work
I found the following text to help me jump things....but none of these wires make sense as I have no "orange" or "pink" wires in my truck. I'll gladly put together q how to guide once I'm done here provided I can get the wires correct and spliced for the group. I'll even show how I fabricate the plug qnd everything.

"You need to pull the DVD down and access the gray plug behind it . Connect the following Pin 7 red to pin 5 white Pin 17 white to pin 15 green Pin 8 orange to pin 6 red Pin 18 pink to pin 16 black. Use a short piece of wire and jump them together. This will make the headphones work."

I've pulled apart my center console, dash and overhead looking for wires that match these colors to no avail. Either I'm blind or my truck is screwy. Please help me here what do I gotta splice to make the head phone Jack's work?

At my dash is a square block style plug. With wires...right to left if looking directly at the red face of the connector

First row Green, white, black, red, black, open, blue w red stripe

Middle row right to left
Open, open, open, open, gray w black stripe

Bottom row right to left
Tan (maybe a light orange?), blue with pink stripe, green w black stripe (power to unit), open, open, open, blue

Then for my overhead dvd player I have the following. Looking at gray plug with clip down left to right

First row
Black, green, black w green stripe, black, tan (or light orange maybe?), blue w pink stripe

Second row
Red,white,black,blue w red stripe, green w black stripe, red w yellow stripe

Then inside the console the headphones are part of a larger circuit board setup not a direct wire as such. But my wires looking from the side of the plug with the clip are

Bottom row
Pinkish w yellow stripe, gray w blue stripe, black w purple stripe, orange w red stripe, open, black with green stripe (or green with black stripe),black, blue with red stripe

Top row
Tarnish w green stripe, tarnish w white stripe,open, blue w red stripe, tannish,open, black w green stripe(or green w black stripe), red w yellow stripe.

20190116_103558.jpg

20190116_103607.jpg

20190116_114931.jpg

20190116_114944.jpg

20190116_115429.jpg

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Curious - on the back side of the console, do the buttons work? Can a rear seat passenger adjust the volume, seek FM to the next station?

When the radio is on, do you get audio at the headphone jacks?

Lastly - is this the OEM, factory installed overhead DVD?

Does this coincide with a aftermarket head unit install?

OP
OP
Kryo-Genik

Kryo-Genik

Reaction score
Curious - on the back side of the console, do the buttons work? Can a rear seat passenger adjust the volume, seek FM to the next station?

When the radio is on, do you get audio at the headphone jacks?

Lastly - is this the OEM, factory installed overhead DVD?

Does this coincide with a aftermarket head unit install?

As stated above there is no sound that comes through the headphone Jack's thus far. I popped a dvd in and plugged in headphones...and nothing. I've tried volume etc...nothing. yes there is now an after market stereo in here which is why I'm trying to get just the headphones working. And yes this is the factory OEM overhead dvd player. It seems I have an "early" model 03 and Ford changed plugs and shit down the road.

OP
OP
Kryo-Genik

Kryo-Genik

Reaction score
Lmao I also just found out I need q new drivers side headlight bucket too. I love when people half ass things

OP
OP
Kryo-Genik

Kryo-Genik

Reaction score
Anyone? Come on guys help me out here. When I'm finished I'll put together a walk through and show how I build the wiring harness for all of this.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Crutchfield had a Metro harness that would get you power and sound to and from the head unit and overhead DVD player, but I think the DVD player would only play through the truck's speakers after that. The rear console audio panel was basically dead. I just went out and looked at my DVD player and the screen is toast. I never use the thing and haven't looked at the screen since the Expy was new. The kids used it early on, but quickly lost interest as they grew older. I might try to hunt down a rebuilt factory unit just to put a working unit back up there. But then again, I might completely blow it off....

Found this YouTube video of someone fixing their Expy DVD audio, if you're motivated you might give it a try. I'm not really that motivated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kryo-Genik

Kryo-Genik

Reaction score
Crutchfield had a Metro harness that would get you power and sound to and from the head unit and overhead DVD player, but I think the DVD player would only play through the truck's speakers after that. The rear console audio panel was basically dead. I just went out and looked at my DVD player and the screen is toast. I never use the thing and haven't looked at the screen since the Expy was new. The kids used it early on, but quickly lost interest as they grew older. I might try to hunt down a rebuilt factory unit just to put a working unit back up there. But then again, I might completely blow it off....

Found this YouTube video of someone fixing their Expy DVD audio, if you're motivated you might give it a try. I'm not really that motivated.

Well brother I got the metra kit and it will NOT work with my setup. The plug is for the later production 2003s AMD the cordless headphones come with 2004s. However I am using the metra kit for parts to build a new harness off of it. Which is why I'm having such a hard time. The video you found uses the wireless headphones which I cannot in any way use. This us why I'm trying to get together what each of these wires do and which ones control the console headphone Jack's. If I can figure put which wires out of what I have control the headphones I can wire things accordingly or modify the PCB inside of the headphone assembly. I've found this picture which pretty much matches .y overhead dvd plug. But wtf is "audio corporate profile"???? Now if the dvd audio pos left, right and dvd audio neg left, right are the sound out (they should be) then that helps me narrow down 4 wires but which wires control the headphones now? And then in theory I can tap the dvd audio ones into the headphone ones and I'm golden in theory.

2013-06-26_041823_3-1.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kryo-Genik

Kryo-Genik

Reaction score
I cannot find a pin out for the plug in the console so I do not know what the wires in the console do right now. I can make a guess on things but guessing and then plugging jumpers all over may smoke something and not help me at all....and yeah I'm damned determined to figure this out