2003 Eddie Bauer 5.4 Condenser recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I hopped in the truck to go work on that dragging caliper the ac came out blazing hot. This was a sudden failure with no warning or odd sounds. Checked pressure, yep, none. Hooked up the old trusty robinair and gave a small charge and discovered a leak on the lower corner of the condenser on driver side. It looks to have been replaced at some point but is slightly loose in its mounting and from what I would guezs has basically worn a hole it in rubbiing against the support.

Seems like a sloppy previous repair may have caused this failure. People annoy me. If you're going to fix something, fix it properly...

That being said, any suggestions on a brand of condenser? There seems to be a very wide range of price and I assume at least some variation in quality. I've seen $59-379, Motorcraft on the high end obviously. I'm at 235k and may keep this till it's dead. People want far too much for used ones currently to even think of switching out. No other areas of concern at the moment so I'm not trying to cheap out but if there is very little difference I can't see throwing $400, at OEM if a good option exists. I've never purchased a condenser myself and not familiar with all of the brands.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you know a good TIG guy (or gal)? I've had my '86 F250 condenser TIGged about 8 years ago & not had a leak at the spot. Still cools great on R12. My buddy would weld tin foil & beer cans for kicks.

OP
OP
Aspen03

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you know a good TIG guy (or gal)? I've had my '86 F250 condenser TIGged about 8 years ago & not had a leak at the spot. Still cools great on R12. My buddy would weld tin foil & beer cans for kicks.

My neighbor actually, guy is a wizard w a welder. He worked for a large company welding everything imaginable before he started teaching. Nuclear certified and can handle about anything I've ever seen him mess with. Interesting to see all the odds and ends that come through his garage.

275 for oem is better than the very quick search turned up that I made yesterday. I spent maybe 5min looking before I went to bed.